Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Russian and Chinese military reaching out

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

4. Sep 22, 2014 #3
    This is news how exactly?

5. Sep 22, 2014 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I did hear about that. Context and motive matter, though. Surveilance is surveilance. Provocation is provocation. Neither were "testing defenses" though.

Personally, I think it is rather pathetic for them to flex their muscles that way. It would be much more impressive if they opened the bomb-bay doors on their stealth bombers just offshore -- unkloaking them like a Klingon Birds of Prey.....oh, wait....they don't have any.

Given that no conventional weapons display they can offer would garner more than a yawn in reaction and we're already declining to stand-up to them in the Ukraine, I wonder why they bother with such weak displays. If anything it is re-assuring us that they still fear us at least a little, that they feel the need to do it -- while reminding us of just how superior our military is to theirs, should we ever choose to employ it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. Sep 23, 2014 #5
    "Declining to stand up to them in the Ukraine". What a laugh.

7. Sep 23, 2014 #6

russ_watters

Why is that a laugh?

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Yawn is right, it's a non-story and a one sided view of events. This stuff happens on all sides on the sea and in the air but if you don't push it to the limit and sometimes a little beyond (oops) you don't get the desired result.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. Sep 25, 2014 #8
    I would not say "again":
    -No ideological struggle (because even if old good fashioned nationalism/imperialism is trendy again, then exporting it to new countries would not make them allies);
    -No block is seriously counterbalancing the West;
    -In long run China might be interested in Russian natural resources... not in the way that Russians would appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Sep 27, 2014 #9
    China and Russia pose a futuristic challenge to the West in military terms ,perhaps by the end of this century ,the question is who will join this block ? potential candidates are Iran ,North Korea,Cuba and who else ?Pakistan ? India might avoid joining any of the blocks and maintain ties with both the blocks like it usually does. What are these blocks going to do anyway ? in what areas are they going to compete ? Perhaps over the North pole ,influence over resource rich African countries and South American countries and Space exploration and possibly even space weaponization(hope not).

11. Sep 28, 2014 #10
    Weak points of such block:
    -India really dislikes Pakistan and don't like China too much
    -China gets more powerful and looks with some temptation on loosely populated, resource rich Russian Siberia
    -North Korea and Cuba economies combined, even after adjusting for PPP are smaller than Ireland

The power that can challenge the West in long run is China. However it has a rare talent to make its neighbours furious (I mean nine-dotted line) so its ability to build wider coalition is limited.

12. Sep 29, 2014 #11
    If China even wants to challenge the West ,it will realise that it will be very hard or even impossible to do it alone that's why I think the Russia-China alliance is here to stay. China might need Russian technology since the Chinese are currently only good at reverse engineering or stealing Western technology. All this is really far off , what might happen at the end of this century is very difficult predict but the world will be headed for some instability if China and Russia decide to counterbalance the West.

13. Oct 1, 2014 #12
    At this moment Russia is not specially good source of technology, if I have to guess I'd rather say that in long run it would be Chinese inventing mostly on their own with some help of espionage.

Of course there is one hidden assumption - 100 years. A 100 years ago Japan was clearly not considered as the West, however respected from naval Tsushima battle 1905. In A.D. 2014 it has capitalism, democracy, strong alliance with the USA and weird culture (from perspective of a chauvinistic European :D ). In a century I'd expect that quite many countries would partially westernize / evolve in the same direction that the West would move in the meantime, making the whole idea of anti-West block something hard to build.

EDIT: Pending on private opinion drift towards Fukuyama's "end of history" or Borg's "We Are the Borg. You Will be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile." :D

14. Oct 2, 2014 #13
    Yes , it is unclear what Russia will become after Putin ,he might get 'elected' for another term or two,will Russia mend it's ways after Putin and stop messing around with Ukraine and other countries ? If so then China might feel isolated and might lay off it's ambition for world domination (if it has such a plan on the first place) or atleast the World will wait a little longer to see the Chinese domination.

15. Oct 2, 2014 #14

mheslep

Gold Member

Books portraying Putin as a tough guy, a strong leader are best sellers China at t he moment.

16. Nov 13, 2014 #15

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Russian bomber patrols to reach Gulf of Mexico
    http://news.yahoo.com/russian-bomber-patrols-reach-gulf-mexico-140508309.html [Broken]

Fifty years ago, that would have been alarming.

17. Nov 13, 2014 #16

mheslep

Gold Member

Why is this not alarming now?

18. Nov 13, 2014 #17

russ_watters

Because 50 years ago we thought there was a real chance Russia might invade western Europe, but today Russia is invading western Europe.....er, wait, what? That didn't go like I had hoped....let me try again:

50 years ago we were worried that Russia might base bombers in Cuba that could attack the US, but today...er, wait, that won't work either.

I think people are less worried because the bombers Russia is planning to fly over the Caribbean may actually be the same actual planes they tried to send there 50 years ago! We're not worried because Russia is weaker so the threat is lower. Ironically, the fact that Russia is less of a threat is part of what makes it possible for them to project power without us trying to stop them: we're not worried about escalation to WWIII because Russia couldn't even fight a war the size of the Falklands war today.

19. Nov 13, 2014 #18

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I'm personally surprised there are sufficient beer-cans in Russia to keep the TU-95 fleet in the air. It is the top of the line in variable pitch counter-rotation turboprop aircraft from the 50s.

tu95_all.gif

20. Nov 13, 2014 #19

mheslep

Gold Member

:D:DD and other appropriate emoticons here

21. Nov 13, 2014 #20

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that's Eastern Europe, although that's certainly western Europe compared to Russia.

Except perhaps in Ukraine. Their forces stay close to home.

The long range bombers are more show. I don't know if they have many nations willing to host their aircraft, but perhaps a few like Venezuela. They can spend their money on foreign aid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted