Rust Prevention by Electric Potential Difference.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of rust formation and whether or not grounding a car to the earth would slow down the process. It is stated that grounding the car would actually speed up the process. The use of electric potentials to prevent rust is mentioned, but it is noted that it is more complicated than just grounding the car. It is also mentioned that untreated iron/steel will rust regardless of electricity, and that aluminum rusts much more rapidly. The use of monel rivets to avoid corrosion in joints is also mentioned.
recnepswillia
I hope I'm posting this in the right spot, but I've been wondering this for a while now and figured this would be the best place to ask...

I know that rust is an process involving electricity and rust forms on the negatively charged anode right?

If that's the case, since a car is on rubber tires and is not grounded to the earth, would rust slow down if when the car is parked, it were grounded to the Earth so it was at it's lowest electric potential?

(i'm going to school for mechanical engineering and probably won't do much more with electricity that what I've learned this year (which isn't much))

If anyone could shed some light on whether or not this would work it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, grounding the car would speed up the process, if anything. You can use electric potentials to prevent rust, but it's a little more complicated than that. The easiest way is by setting up a sacrificial anode, and making it out of material that naturally establishes the correct potential. It's a little difficult to do with the car, though.

Rust will happen to untreated iron/steel whether or not there is electricity involved. It's just very slow burning. It happens to aluminum so rapidly that it's almost impossible to avoid. In the latter case, it's considered to be a good thing, since the first layer inhibits any further corrosion.
Back when I belonged to the EAA, wherein people built their own aeroplanes, it was widely known that monel rivets had to be used when joining steel to aluminum, to avoid dialectric corrosion of the parts around the joints.

1. What is rust prevention by electric potential difference?

Rust prevention by electric potential difference is a method used to protect metal structures from corrosion. It involves applying a small electric current to the metal surface, which creates a potential difference between the metal and its surrounding environment. This helps to slow down the oxidation process that causes rusting.

2. How does it work?

The electric potential difference creates a type of barrier between the metal and its surroundings, preventing the transfer of electrons that leads to rust formation. This process is known as cathodic protection and it involves using a sacrificial anode, usually made of a more reactive metal, to attract the electrons and protect the metal surface.

3. What are the benefits of using this method?

Rust prevention by electric potential difference is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly way to protect metal structures from corrosion. It can extend the lifespan of the metal, reduce maintenance costs, and improve the overall appearance of the structure. It is also a non-invasive method that does not require any major changes to the metal surface.

4. Is it suitable for all types of metal?

This method is most commonly used for ferrous metals, such as iron and steel, but it can also be effective for other types of metal. The type of metal used for the sacrificial anode may need to be adjusted depending on the metal being protected.

5. Are there any limitations to this method?

Rust prevention by electric potential difference is not a permanent solution and may need to be regularly maintained or replaced. It also requires a power source to operate, so it may not be suitable for all environments. Additionally, this method may not be effective in highly corrosive environments or for structures with complex geometries.