Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rutherford Scattering in Landau book

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    I'm reading Landau and Lifgarbagez's Mechanics book and am having a hard time proving the following:

On page 53, they present theta_0 = arccos( ... ). As described on page 48 eqn 18.2 the integral should produce this theta_0. However, I am not quite sure what r_min is? On page 48, they say 'It should be recalled that r_min is a zero of the radicand. I *think* that means rmin is a turning point, yes?

On page 36, they integrate eqn 18.2 (I assume with the same limits: rmin to inf), however notice there is an extra term. (Also they integrated it for U(r) = - alpha/r, but that is just a sign change).

Furthermore, eqn 15.14 on page 38 (evaluated for a repulsive potential U = +a/r) shows:
    p/r = -1 + e cos(phi). However, if I am not mistaken, for Rutherford's problem, cos(phi) = -1/e, where does the p/r term go?

Here's a summary of what I am asking if it didn't make sense:
    1) I am trying to find phi_0 for a repulsive potential U(r) = a/r
    2) Using Kepler's problem with the signs changed, phi_0 on page 53 and phi on the top of page 36 don't seem to match (different limits of integration?) I did of course convert to E = 1/2 m vinf^2 and M = mv_inf p, but that still doesn't appear to yield the same result.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
    (I don't have a copy of L & L) The variable r min is usually used to connotate the distance of closest approach of the alpha particle in Rutherford scattering. The scattering, being elastic, has a well defined differential cross ection in a central Coulomb field (point source). If r-min is too small, the alpha particle hits the nucleus, and the differential cross section is modified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook