Rutherford Scattering in Landau book

In summary, the speaker is having trouble understanding the concept of r_min in Landau and Lifgarbagez's Mechanics book. They are also confused about the discrepancy between phi_0 on page 53 and phi on page 36, as well as the use of r_min in Rutherford scattering. They are trying to find phi_0 for a repulsive potential and are questioning the accuracy of the calculations presented in the book.
roeb
I'm reading Landau and Lifgarbagez's Mechanics book and am having a hard time proving the following:

On page 53, they present theta_0 = arccos( ... ). As described on page 48 eqn 18.2 the integral should produce this theta_0. However, I am not quite sure what r_min is? On page 48, they say 'It should be recalled that r_min is a zero of the radicand. I *think* that means rmin is a turning point, yes?

On page 36, they integrate eqn 18.2 (I assume with the same limits: rmin to inf), however notice there is an extra term. (Also they integrated it for U(r) = - alpha/r, but that is just a sign change).

Furthermore, eqn 15.14 on page 38 (evaluated for a repulsive potential U = +a/r) shows:
p/r = -1 + e cos(phi). However, if I am not mistaken, for Rutherford's problem, cos(phi) = -1/e, where does the p/r term go?

Here's a summary of what I am asking if it didn't make sense:
1) I am trying to find phi_0 for a repulsive potential U(r) = a/r
2) Using Kepler's problem with the signs changed, phi_0 on page 53 and phi on the top of page 36 don't seem to match (different limits of integration?) I did of course convert to E = 1/2 m vinf^2 and M = mv_inf p, but that still doesn't appear to yield the same result.

Science news on Phys.org
(I don't have a copy of L & L) The variable r min is usually used to connotate the distance of closest approach of the alpha particle in Rutherford scattering. The scattering, being elastic, has a well defined differential cross ection in a central Coulomb field (point source). If r-min is too small, the alpha particle hits the nucleus, and the differential cross section is modified.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I understand your confusion and I will try to clarify the concepts for you.

Firstly, let's start with the concept of r_min. Yes, you are correct that r_min is a turning point. It is the minimum distance between the particle and the scattering center in the Rutherford scattering problem. In other words, it is the point where the particle reaches its closest approach to the scattering center before being deflected.

Moving on to the equations, the extra term that you noticed in equation 18.2 on page 36 is due to the use of a different potential function, U(r) = -alpha/r, which changes the integral slightly. This is why the result may seem different from the one on page 53, where U(r) = a/r.

As for the issue with the p/r term in equation 15.14, you are correct that it should be there for the Rutherford scattering problem. This term represents the angular momentum of the particle and its inclusion is necessary for the correct solution. It may have been omitted in the book for simplicity or to focus on other aspects of the problem.

Lastly, to find phi_0 for a repulsive potential U(r) = a/r, you can follow the same approach as in the book, but with the appropriate potential function. Keep in mind that the limits of integration may change accordingly.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering, also known as the Rutherford Model, is a theory proposed by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 to explain the structure of an atom. It states that atoms have a small, dense, positively-charged nucleus at its center, surrounded by negatively-charged electrons.

2. What is the Landau book?

The Landau book, also known as "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" is a renowned textbook written by Russian physicist Lev Landau and his student Evgeny Lifshitz. It is widely used in universities to teach quantum mechanics and covers topics such as atomic structure, scattering, and potential theory.

3. How is Rutherford Scattering explained in the Landau book?

In the Landau book, Rutherford Scattering is explained as the deflection of alpha particles (helium nuclei) when passing close to a heavy nucleus, such as gold or platinum. It is described using classical mechanics and the Coulomb potential between two charged particles.

4. What is the significance of Rutherford Scattering in the Landau book?

Rutherford Scattering is significant in the Landau book as it provides a crucial experiment that led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus and the development of the Rutherford Model. It also serves as an example to understand the principles of quantum mechanics and potential theory.

5. How does Rutherford Scattering support the concept of quantum mechanics?

Rutherford Scattering supports the concept of quantum mechanics by showing that the behavior of particles at the atomic level cannot be explained by classical mechanics alone. The observations made in Rutherford's experiment, such as the deflection of alpha particles, can only be explained by considering the wave-like properties of particles and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.