Probability Greater than 1 in λφ^4 Theory

• Thread starter geoduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    S-matrix
In summary, when using a perturbative calculation to first order in ##\lambda##, the probability of two particles in the same state after scattering can exceed 1. However, this violation of unitarity is only accurate up to ##O(\lambda)##, as shown by the unitarity violation being higher order than the accuracy of the first-order perturbative calculation.
geoduck
Take a [tex]\lambda \phi^4[/tex] theory. To first order in λ, the 2x2 scattering amplitude is:

iM=-iλ

So the amplitude <f|S|i> is then <f|(1+iM)|i>=<f|i>+iM<f|i>.

Letting f=i, the probability is greater than 1! It is equal to the norm |1+iM| which is sqrt[1^2+λ^2].

How is it that two particles in the state |i> have a probability greater than 1 of being in the same state |i> after scattering?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you do a perturbative calculation to some order in ##\lambda##, you can only expect unitarity to hold up to that order in ##\lambda##. ##\sqrt{1 + \lambda^2} = 1 + O(\lambda^2)##, so the unitarity violation is higher order in ##\lambda## than the accuracy of the first-order perturbative calculation, which is only accurate up to ##O(\lambda)##.

1. What is λφ^4 theory and how does it relate to probability greater than 1?

λφ^4 theory is a mathematical model used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of quantum fields. It is based on the concept of a scalar field (φ) interacting with itself through a coupling constant (λ). In this theory, the probability of a certain event occurring can be greater than 1 if the coupling constant is large enough.

2. How does probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory challenge traditional understandings of probability?

Traditional understandings of probability are based on the idea that the probability of an event occurring must be between 0 and 1. However, in λφ^4 theory, the probability can be greater than 1 due to the effects of the coupling constant on the behavior of the scalar field.

3. What are the implications of probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory for experimental results?

The implications of probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory for experimental results are significant. It means that the results of experiments may not always align with traditional understandings of probability, and researchers must consider the effects of the coupling constant on the outcomes.

4. How is probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory reconciled with the laws of mathematics?

The concept of probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory is not a violation of the laws of mathematics. It is a result of the complex interactions between the scalar field and the coupling constant, which fall within the realm of theoretical physics and do not contradict mathematical principles.

5. Can probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory be observed in real-world phenomena?

While probability greater than 1 in λφ^4 theory is a possibility in theoretical calculations, it is unlikely to be observed in real-world phenomena. This is because the coupling constant needed to produce such probabilities is extremely large and may not occur naturally in the universe.