S Molarity: 30.0 mL Sulfuric Acid

• Thread starter h20h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the conversation is about finding the molarity of a sulfuric acid solution using the given information of 20 mL of a 0.3M solution of NaOH neutralizing 30.0 mL of the acid solution. The conversation includes discussions on the balanced reaction equation, stoichiometry, and using molarity and volume to solve the problem. The course in question is likely General Chemistry 2.
h20h
This is the question: If 20 mL of a 0.3M solution of NaOH is required to neutralize 30.0 mL of a sulfuric acid solution, what is the molarity of the acid solution?

I just need to get pointed in the right direction and then just some simple steps from there...

Thanks
H20h

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean like this:

2NaOH + H2SO4 ==> Na2SO4 + H2O ?

I am not sure? is that where I should start?

h20h said:
I am not sure? is that where I should start?
If you had to ask, then I would say, "probably so" (meaning I believe, "yes"). Your level of understanding seems to be near introductory, so you are interested in complete neutralization. You are interested in neutralizing both equivalents of acid. Use ratios from the balanced reaction equation. This means that one formula unit of sulfuric acid matches two formula units of sodium hydroxide.

If M is molarity, and V is volume, then M*V for sodium hydroxide will equal M*V for sulfuric acid. [tex] M_b V_b = 2 M_a V_a [/tex]

(another attempt at typesetting; I hope it works)

Last edited:
I am taking Chem 2 in college right now but I HATE word problems I never really know where to start...so using the equation you have above I would just plug in the values that were given and then rearrange to find the missing component?

I went from liters of NaOH to moles of NaOH =.006 moles of NaOH

stoich: 2 moles of NaOH: 1 mole of H2SO4

moles of NaOH to moles of H2SO4= .003 moles of H2SO4

then divided the moles of H2SO4 by .03 liters and got = .1M H2SO4 solution

Last edited:
...Looks good, h20h. You broke the description into smaller steps.

That word problem as you presented it, is not very complicated in its worded form. Always identify the important mathematical relationships and laws; write equations and expressions for what you know; analyze the relationships and arrange an answer in the form of symbols.

What is the exact name of the course which you call, "Chem 2"?

It's just called CHEM 2 (I am not lying here LOL)

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it alot

h20h said:
It's just called CHEM 2 (I am not lying here LOL)

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it alot
h20h,
The course "Chem 2" must have an official descriptive title. "Chem 2" alone is not enough. I really AM interested to know what the course name is. Check the college catalogue; check the course schedule for this current term. Your Chem 2 course might not be a typical degree credit course, but still an official name is expected. With the kind of question you asked, the correct descriptive name might me something like "Introductory Chemistry", or "Elementary Chemistry"; but probably not "analytical chemistry" and not "quantitative chemistry" and not "principles of chemistry" and certainly not "General Chemistry". Could you give a list of topics for the course, or a syllabus?

Actually, I would guess that it is general chem. 2 that h2oh is in. I don't think they mess with an intro. to chem. 2.
However, the problem does seem a bit easy for gen. chem. 2, but after a bunch of hard classes, maybe it's a question of perspective.

Related to S Molarity: 30.0 mL Sulfuric Acid

1. What is the molarity of 30.0 mL of sulfuric acid?

The molarity of a solution is the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. In this case, the molarity of 30.0 mL of sulfuric acid would depend on the concentration of the sulfuric acid. Without that information, we cannot determine the molarity.

2. How do you calculate the molarity of a sulfuric acid solution?

The molarity of a solution can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. In this case, the number of moles of sulfuric acid would need to be known in order to calculate the molarity.

3. What is the concentration of sulfuric acid in a 30.0 mL solution?

The concentration of a solution is the amount of solute present in a given amount of solution. In order to determine the concentration of sulfuric acid in a 30.0 mL solution, we would need to know the amount of sulfuric acid present in the solution.

4. Does the molarity of sulfuric acid change if the volume is increased or decreased?

Yes, the molarity of a solution will change if the volume is increased or decreased. This is because the molarity is directly proportional to the volume of the solution. As the volume increases, the molarity decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are the hazards of handling a 30.0 mL sulfuric acid solution?

Sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive and toxic substance. It can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin and can also cause eye damage. It is important to handle this solution with caution and wear appropriate protective gear.