Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saddam Hussein keeps on killling

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070114/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saddam_mimicry_hangings

What the HELL are little kids doing watching televised executions? What kind of barbaric parents would force that on a ten-year-old, too young even to comprehend that hanging results in death?

(And for that matter, what kind of barbarians televise the murder of a man as if it were a simple political event, and not something fundamentally and utterly perverse?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

There is nothing mentioned about parents forcing kids to watch/comprehend that.

I agree with that.

Anyway, I wouldn't be so sure that the events with these kids occured due to viewing that execution only, though. There can always be something more to it. Btw, how do you explain the countless hangings in westerns we watched in our childhoods? I know they never inspired me to try out anything similar as a game.

4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be honest, anyone who can be that influenced by television deserves anything thats coming to them. Beyond that if they are too young to comprehend things depicted correctly then surely some blame should be apportioned to either parents or networks that broadcast the images.

To say that Saddam is killing from beyond the grave is a bit contrived since I'm sure he'd rather not have been hanged.

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Yup. And I'm sure McDonalds is responsible for heart attacks.

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5
    A ten year old deserves to hang to death?

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. It is clear however that these people who are influenced by television are not part of the average populace.

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7
    You've never met a kid in your life, have you Kurdt? Any ten-year-old has no grasp of the distinction between reality and fiction; plus they imitate everything they see. It's odd to me that you see this as being an abnormal case, blaming it on unusual stupidity or the like.

9. Jan 14, 2007 #8
    To get back to my OP question - what the hell kind of parents show their kids a televised execution??? :grumpy:

10. Jan 14, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure that when I was ten years old I could distinguish what would be bad for me and what would not. Kids are not as stupid as people would have them be. If it were a normality then the number of reported deaths of children hanging themselves in the same manner would be much greater because I am fairly sure that a significantly larger number of children than these few cases would have seen the footage.

11. Jan 14, 2007 #10

ranger

Gold Member

I disagree with that. By the time children reach the middle school years, they can distinguish between the two.

12. Jan 15, 2007 #11
    That is absolutely absurd, Every time you want CNN news, or whatever you are influenced by the TV...

13. Jan 15, 2007 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are influenced to form opinions or perhaps takes certain actions depending on the circumstances. To be influenced to the point where you take your own life is not common. I could have perhaps articulated myself better but I thought the context was clear.

14. Jan 15, 2007 #13
    Well, I'm sure that the children didn't actually want to lose their lives in the process of imitation. They just saw an event receiving a lot of publicity in the media and wanted to mimic it, "know how it feels".
    Otherwise these are not accidents or mishaps, just plain suicide.

Parenting has a lot to be blamed. By the age of 10 or so, one would expect adults to have taught children how to use proper discretion and learn to discriminate what is seen on TV.

15. Jan 15, 2007 #14

verty

Homework Helper

When I was young, I was fascinated one day by the TV, how I could press one channel button and another would pop out, it was like the one button was communicating to the other. So I pressed two buttons simultaneously, they both stayed in but another released both of them. So I pressed them all in simultaneously...

I don't think young children think ahead all that much.

16. Jan 15, 2007 #15
    I pretty much agree with everything Kurdt has said. When I was younger a kid about 4 years old hung himself accidentally. Kids do things like this and that is why parents need to watch them. Where I come from the average ten year old is smart enough to know that hanging causes death. However, they are not necessarily smart enough to think about putting a noose around their neck standing at the top of the stairway while the other end of the rope is tied to something and how a simple mis-step could mean their death.

17. Jan 15, 2007 #16

radou

Homework Helper

If it was so, about 90 % of us wouldn't be typing on this forum right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?