Exploring Carnot's and Jordan's Contribution to the Theory of Work

In summary, the conversation discussed the principles of energy and work in relation to the expanding universe and the theories of Sadi Carnot and Camille Jordan. It was determined that the energy density in the universe is dropping and that the Carnot Principle still applies, even in a non-equilibrium universe. The book "The First Three Minutes" was recommended for further reading on the subject.
stevmg
This chain was "lost" in a previous thread and disappeared into the ionosphere.
The question was based on the principle expounded in 1828 by Sadi Carnot (1796 - 1832) - some French military physicist and engineer - died kind of young.). I never knew the man.

W = efficiency as a fraction of 1.00, T2 = higher temperature Kelvin, T1 = lower temperature Kelvin, Q2 = higher energy level (ratio measurement meaning there is a real "0"), Q1 = lower energy level

W = (T2 - T1)/T2 or, using other energy level units:

W = (Q2 - Q1)/Q2

Now, it has been stated that there is an energy density in the universe...

1) If the universe is expanding, is the energy density dropping and are we, in effect, bleeding off our potential energy for accomplishing work

2) If all the energy is at one energy level, even though not at zero (0), no work can be generated because the numerator in either equation above is zero (T2 - T1 = 0, Q2 - Q1 = 0), no matter how high T2 or Q2 are.

Is this really true? Was Sadi Carnot a really brilliant guy, or, was he "blowing smoke" at us? What are the implications of this?

If we can get solid answers to this I can tell you about a mathematician named Camille Jordan (1838 - 1922), another French guy who did "blow smoke" but the assertion is true. I didn't know this fellow either but I sure would have liked his sales pitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevmg said:
1) If the universe is expanding, is the energy density dropping and are we, in effect, bleeding off our potential energy for accomplishing work
The energy density of the universe is certainly dropping (on the average). For instance, the average density of heat and radiation is decreasing.

Potential energy isn't a very well defined or useful concept in GR. There is no global law of conservation of energy in GR. That makes it hard for me to figure out what kind of work you're referring to here.

stevmg said:
2) If all the energy is at one energy level, even though not at zero (0), no work can be generated because the numerator in either equation above is zero (T2 - T1 = 0, Q2 - Q1 = 0), no matter how high T2 or Q2 are.

This isn't a relativity question. If the universe was in thermal equilibrium, then your argument would be correct, and there would be no way to do mechanical work.

bcrowell said:
The energy density of the universe is certainly dropping (on the average). For instance, the average density of heat and radiation is decreasing.

Potential energy isn't a very well defined or useful concept in GR. There is no global law of conservation of energy in GR. That makes it hard for me to figure out what kind of work you're referring to here.

This isn't a relativity question. If the universe was in thermal equilibrium, then your argument would be correct, and there would be no way to do mechanical work.

You have answered two questions to which, prior to now, I had no clue:

1) I did not know that in GR/SR there was no principle of energy conservation. Now I do.

2) Yes, Messr Carnot was dealing with 19th Century thermodynamics and you validated my understanding of that and, by inference from the answer to question 1, you have indicated that the Carnot Principle would not apply to our Universe "out there." I guess we will have to retire it to steam locomotives and the like.

That was the whole purpose of my questions and you have answered them.

Much thanks,

stevmg

stevmg said:
by inference from the answer to question 1, you have indicated that the Carnot Principle would not apply to our Universe "out there."

stevmg

I don't follow your logic, can you please explain? Carnot's principle, which leads to the definition of entropy, does indeed apply to the entire universe and does not require equilibrium.

Edit: this thread may be more appropriate in Classical Physics. Or not, depending on the response...

stevmg said:
[...] by inference from the answer to question 1, you have indicated that the Carnot Principle would not apply to our Universe "out there." I guess we will have to retire it to steam locomotives and the like.[...]

Wait, that's not what I said! :-)

You might want to read a book called The First Three Minutes. It deals with the thermodynamics of the early universe.

Andy Resnick said:
I don't follow your logic, can you please explain? Carnot's principle, which leads to the definition of entropy, does indeed apply to the entire universe and does not require equilibrium.

Edit: this thread may be more appropriate in Classical Physics. Or not, depending on the response...

bcrowell said:
Wait, that's not what I said! :-)

You might want to read a book called The First Three Minutes. It deals with the thermodynamics of the early universe.

Did I open a can of worms! I get it... Messr Carnot was "right" even in a non equilibrium universe. No more need to be explained. I shall check the First Three Minutes out of the library.

That's as far as I want to go for now. Further discussion of thermodynamics will be done in the classical physics threads.

stevmg

1. What is Carnot's contribution to the theory of work?

Carnot's contribution to the theory of work is the development of the Carnot cycle, which is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. This cycle laid the foundation for the study of thermodynamics and provided key insights into the concept of energy conservation.

2. Who is Jordan and what was their contribution to the theory of work?

Jordan, also known as Pascual Jordan, was a German physicist who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics. His work focused on the relationship between thermodynamics and the principles of quantum mechanics, providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

3. How did Carnot and Jordan's work contribute to the theory of work?

Carnot's work on the Carnot cycle and Jordan's work on the relationship between thermodynamics and quantum mechanics both provided crucial insights into the concept of work. They helped to establish the fundamental principles of energy conservation and provided a theoretical framework for understanding the conversion of heat into work.

4. What is the significance of Carnot and Jordan's contributions to the theory of work?

Carnot and Jordan's contributions to the theory of work have had a profound impact on the field of physics and thermodynamics. Their work helped to establish the fundamental laws of energy conservation and provided the basis for further research and advancements in these fields.

5. How has the understanding of work evolved since Carnot and Jordan's contributions?

Since Carnot and Jordan's contributions, our understanding of work has continued to evolve as new theories and technologies have emerged. The principles of energy conservation and the relationship between thermodynamics and quantum mechanics have remained central to our understanding of work, but advancements in areas such as nanotechnology and quantum computing have expanded our knowledge and potential applications of this concept.