1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Safety grad school for experimental particle physics

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    I'm a senior undergrad and will be applying to grad school soon. The field I'm interested in is experimental high-energy physics. There are already about six schools I'm looking at applying to, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about possible safety schools. My overall GPA is about 3.5 (although semester-wise there's been substantial improvement, from a 3.0 my first semester to a 3.8 last semester). My physics GPA is 3.5, and my math GPA is 3.6. I'm taking the physics GRE next month, so I can't say what kind of scores I'll be applying with. My research experience is in experimental high-energy since the summer between my sophomore and junior years to the present. Are there any decent programs someone with my record could safely bet on getting into?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Which ones?

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Tennessee in Knoxville, University of Wisconsin, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, and Rutgers--not all of those are for sure, and certainly there are some there that I have little chance of getting into. Now I'm really looking for more attainable ones that still have good programs and preferably at least one decent one that I can definitely get into.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook