Survey Results: 100 Respondents, 5 Colors - Mean, Median & Mode?

In summary, the conversation is about a survey with 100 respondents and 5 color options. The results of the survey show that green is the most popular color. The individual is unsure about the sample size and how to compute for mean, median, and mode in this context. It is clarified that the sample size is indeed 100 and there is no mean or median in this non-quantitative statistic. The mode is green. There is a discussion about the usefulness of analyzing frequency data and the mean frequency is calculated to be 20. The median frequency is explained to be the middle value.
dimasalang
1. hi there I am a bit confused, I am doing a survey of 100 respondents.
ive asked them 5 colors to choose from ( red, green, blue, yellow and black)

ive got these results from my survey of 100 respondents
red = 21
green = 36
blue = 19
yellow = 10
black = 14
2. is my sample size 100? or 5?
how can i compute for the mean and median
3. my first idea may sample size is 5,

ive got 100 respondents and I've divide it by 5 so my mean is 20? am i correct?
can someone eniighten me? i can't get the mode. i still really don't get it

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry I've posted it on a wrong section

Your sample size is 100. This kind of "definition" question is easily answered with Google.

Your sample size is 100. But since each sample is a color rather than a number, this is a non-quantitative statistic- there is no "mean", "median" or "midrange". There is a mode. It is "green".

Is it possible that you are using your frequency data as your random variable?
You really can't learn a lot from that kind of analysis, though, and it doesn't sit right with me.

If you are looking for the mean frequency, then yes, that would be 20, but you don't learn anything from that, since like you said it is simply sample size divided by # of categories.
The median frequency is the middle one (two greater, two less).

ok thnks a lot..

1. What is the purpose of conducting a survey with 100 respondents and 5 colors?

The purpose of conducting this survey is to gather data and insights on people's preferences for these 5 specific colors. By surveying a large enough sample size (100 respondents), the results can be considered representative of the general population's preferences.

2. What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

Mean, median, and mode are all measures of central tendency, but they represent different ways of calculating the "average" of a set of data. Mean is calculated by adding all the values and then dividing by the total number of values. Median is the middle value in a set of data when the values are arranged in order. Mode is the value that appears most frequently in a set of data.

3. How are mean, median, and mode useful in interpreting survey results?

Mean, median, and mode are useful in interpreting survey results because they provide a summary of the data and can help identify patterns and trends. For example, if the mean of a certain color is significantly higher than the median and mode, it may suggest that there are a few outliers who strongly prefer that color.

4. What does a high or low mean, median, or mode indicate in this survey?

A high mean, median, or mode for a specific color indicates that a large portion of the respondents prefer that color. A low mean, median, or mode may suggest that the color is not as popular among the respondents.

5. How can the results of this survey be applied in real-world scenarios?

The results of this survey can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as marketing and product development. Companies can use the data to better understand consumer preferences and tailor their products or services accordingly. It can also be used in research studies to analyze the relationship between color preferences and other factors such as age, gender, or cultural background.