Sand/rice/gravel trap investigation

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisYezt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Investigation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ChrisYezt
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have recently carried out an investigation on how a trolley is decelerated by a material "escape lane" similar to how racing cars are stopped off the racetrack.

I have already looked at the relationship between the entry speed and the distance traveled, this was a proportional relationship. However I feel that there are not many other variables that i can analyze. Can anyone point me to any relevant factors/physics which can be looked at?

Homework Equations


I have found that the speed of entry is proportional to distance traveled, which suggests that the deceleration force is not constant, (if it were, the acceleration would be constant and it would be v^2 which was proportional to distance).

The Attempt at a Solution



I feel that there are a few more factors which could influence the deceleration such as the depth of the material trap, the type of material used, and the mass of the trolley used. Although I cannot see what areas of physics this could be linked with (conservation of energy? differential equations of motion?) thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
acceleration = v*(dv/ds) so it is proportional to distance.
 
You should be taking the mass of the object you're slowing into account as well.

A heavier object traveling at the same speed as a lighter one will take longer to slow down because it has more energy and more momentum.