Sanity Check: Solving for t in x=12(1-e^-t/RC) with Inversion Method

• Thread starter parabol
  • Start date
That's not right. It should be 1/(1 - e^(-t/RC)).In summary, the solution to the given problem is t = -RC ln(1-x/12) and it is valid to invert both sides of the equation e^(-t/RC) = (12-x)/12 to get e^(t/RC) = 12/(12-x).
parabol

Homework Statement

Transpose for t,

x=12(1-e^(-t/RC))

I can't get it out of my head but, the soltuion I have come up with doesn't seem right.

Solution is,

t=-RC ln(1-x/12)

Thanks in advance,

Realted, but not as important as the sanity check. For my own mind, could someone explain to me if this is possible and should/could be carried out. If during my transposing I came up with:

e^(-t/RC)= (12-x)/12

Is it possible to invert both sides so that the follwoing is shown

e^(t/RC)=12/(12-x)

Again, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first problem, that's what I get.
For the second, yes, it's valid to invert both sides. The idea is that if a/b = c/d, then b/a = d/c, as long as you don't introduce any division by zero in doing this.

Mark44 said:
For your first problem, that's what I get.
For the second, yes, it's valid to invert both sides. The idea is that if a/b = c/d, then b/a = d/c, as long as you don't introduce any division by zero in doing this.

Thanks Mark. Its just that I tried the invert first off and got completely different colutions once I had substitued values in (why I got confused) .

I'm guessing that you made a mistake when you inverted first. If you have a sum or difference -- a + b -- the reciprocal isn't 1/a + 1/b. It's 1/(a + b). For your problem I'm guessing that you took the reciprocal of 1 - e^(-t/RC) to be 1 - e^(t/RC).

1. What is a "Sanity Check"?

A "Sanity Check" is a term commonly used in the scientific community to refer to a process of cross-checking data or results to ensure accuracy and validity. It is essentially a way to double-check one's work and make sure that any potential errors or mistakes are caught before finalizing conclusions or publishing findings.

2. Why is a "Sanity Check" important in scientific research?

A "Sanity Check" is crucial in scientific research because it helps to prevent errors and ensure the reliability of data and results. In order for scientific findings to be considered valid and trustworthy, they must be thoroughly checked and verified through various methods, including the use of "Sanity Checks". This helps to maintain the integrity and credibility of scientific research.

3. How is a "Sanity Check" performed?

A "Sanity Check" can be performed in a variety of ways depending on the specific research and data being analyzed. Some common methods include comparing results to previous studies, using statistical analysis, and consulting with other experts in the field. It is important to use multiple methods to perform a "Sanity Check" in order to ensure the most accurate and reliable results.

4. When should a "Sanity Check" be performed?

A "Sanity Check" should ideally be performed throughout the entirety of a research project, from the initial data collection and analysis to the final conclusions. It is important to continually check and verify data and results to prevent mistakes or errors from going unnoticed. Additionally, a "Sanity Check" should also be performed before publishing or presenting findings to ensure their accuracy and validity.

5. Can a "Sanity Check" be done by just one person?

While a "Sanity Check" can be done by one person, it is generally recommended to have multiple individuals involved in the process. This allows for a more thorough and objective evaluation of the data and results. Additionally, having multiple people involved can help to catch potential errors or biases that may have been overlooked by one individual.