1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sanity Check - Please

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Transpose for t,

x=12(1-e^(-t/RC))

I can't get it out of my head but, the soltuion I have come up with doesn't seem right.

Solution is,

t=-RC ln(1-x/12)

Thanks in advance,

Realted, but not as important as the sanity check. For my own mind, could someone explain to me if this is possible and should/could be carried out. If during my transposing I came up with:

e^(-t/RC)= (12-x)/12

Is it possible to invert both sides so that the follwoing is shown

e^(t/RC)=12/(12-x)

Again, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For your first problem, that's what I get.
    For the second, yes, it's valid to invert both sides. The idea is that if a/b = c/d, then b/a = d/c, as long as you don't introduce any division by zero in doing this.

4. Jun 8, 2009 #3

Thanks Mark. Its just that I tried the invert first off and got completly different colutions once I had substitued values in (why I got confused) .

5. Jun 8, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm guessing that you made a mistake when you inverted first. If you have a sum or difference -- a + b -- the reciprocal isn't 1/a + 1/b. It's 1/(a + b). For your problem I'm guessing that you took the reciprocal of 1 - e^(-t/RC) to be 1 - e^(t/RC).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook