Sarah Morash's question at Yahoo Answers about eigenvalues

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the given matrix needs to be factored and transformed in order to find the corresponding eigenvalues, which are a, a+b, and a-b.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

ey! So I have a question on an assignment asking to orthogonally diagonalize the matrix:
a 0 b
0 a 0
b 0 a
I know the steps on how to do this, but am having a hard time trying to figure out how to factor this correctly to get all of the eigenvalues at the beginning. I can factor it to a point, but then cannot seem to figure out how to solve for the eigenvalues.

If anyone could help, that would be great!

Here is a link to the question:

Help finding the eigenvalues of a matrix? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Sarah,

Denote by [tex]A[/tex] to the given matrix. Let's find the corresponding eigenvalues.

[tex]\det (A-\lambda I)=\begin{vmatrix}{a-\lambda}&{0}&{b}\\{0}&{a-\lambda}&{0}\\{b}&{0}&{a-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}=(a-\lambda)\begin{vmatrix}{a-\lambda}&{b}\\{b}&{a-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}[/tex]

Now we use the transformations: [tex]F_2\to F_2-F_1[/tex] and [tex]C_1\to C_1+C_2[/tex]:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}{a-\lambda}&{b}\\{b}&{a-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix}{a-\lambda}&{b}\\{b-a+\lambda}&{a-b-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix}{a+b-\lambda}&{b}\\{0}&{a-b-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]

As a consequence:

[tex]\det (A-\lambda I)=(a-\lambda)(a+b-\lambda)(a-b-\lambda)[/tex]

and the eigenvalues are

[tex]\lambda_1=a,\lambda_2=a+b,\lambda_3=a-b[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Sarah Morash's question at Yahoo Answers about eigenvalues

1. What are eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are a concept in linear algebra that represent the scalar values that can be multiplied by a vector to produce a new vector in the same direction. They are important for understanding the behavior of matrices and their transformations.

2. Why was Sarah Morash asking about eigenvalues on Yahoo Answers?

I cannot say for certain why Sarah Morash was asking about eigenvalues on Yahoo Answers, as I do not know her personal motivations. However, it is possible that she was struggling with a math problem or trying to deepen her understanding of the concept.

3. How are eigenvalues used in science?

Eigenvalues are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful for solving differential equations, determining the stability of systems, and analyzing large datasets.

4. Are eigenvalues and eigenvectors the same thing?

No, eigenvalues and eigenvectors are not the same thing. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to eigenvalues and represent the direction of the transformation, while eigenvalues are the scalar values that determine the magnitude of the transformation.

5. Can you provide an example of eigenvalues in real life?

Eigenvalues can be seen in many real-life examples, such as analyzing the stability of a bridge, predicting the behavior of a vibrating guitar string, or understanding the spread of a disease in a population. Essentially, any situation that involves a transformation can be represented using eigenvalues.