Sarah Palin resigns Governorship

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Sarah Palin has resigned as Governor of Alaska. She is retiring from politics and is not running for reelection. She addressed some scandals and said that she does not want to be a lame duck Governor. She also mentioned her son with Down's syndrome. It seems that her opponents would be very wrong to underestimate her.
Loren Booda said:
Politics aside, I am concerned that she may have suffered an anxiety or depressive disorder of some kind - or is she more shrewd than I suspect?

I would add that Maureen Dowd touched on this in her article the other day:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/opinion/05dowd.html?_r=1&em

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
Politics aside, I am concerned that she may have suffered an anxiety or depressive disorder of some kind - or is she more shrewd than I suspect?

Unfortunately I did not catch his name but I just heard a pollster from Alaska on the radio who speculates she has a narcissistic personality disorder and simply could no longer deal with all of the negative things being said about her.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Unfortunately I did not catch his name but I just heard a pollster from Alaska on the radio who speculates she has a narcissistic personality disorder and simply could no longer deal with all of the negative things being said about her.

Then the reaction to her announcement likely isn't up to what she would have hoped. If anything the rhetoric has been amped up, with many in the Republican Party even saying it's over for her as far as 2012. (Like Karl Rove before anyone wants a cite.)

Grabbing golden security for her family seems like the real toy prize that she is wanting from the bottom of the Cracker Jacks, given the more limited means she has been raised from.

I know she is more shrewd than I think she is.

You think so? .

I found the pollster's name. Ivan Moore.
He talked about Palin's support since her resignation but I have only found recent articles he's written regarding numbers for the Senate and House races so far.

Evidently she really is thin skinned. So she got out of the kitchen. This remark is reported from fishing on Bristol Bay yesterday.
CaribouBarbie said:
"Especially when all these lawmakers are lining up for office. Their desire would be to clobber the administration left and right so that they can position themselves for office. I'm not going to put Alaskans through that," the governor said, wearing a Cabela's fishing bib as she stood on a Bristol Bay beach outside Dillingham.
http://www.adn.com/palin/story/855907.html

I'd say it's not Alaska that she was concerned for so much as herself, with her record for not doing anything in a down economy being "clobbered" through 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Levi Johnston, 19, whose wedding to Bristol Palin was called off earlier this year, says he believes the governor is resigning over personal finances.

... "I think the big deal was the book. That was millions of dollars," said Johnston, who has had a strained relationship with the family but now says things have improved.
http://www.adn.com/nation/story/859606.html

It's not that the ethics charges are costing Alaska all this money, after all she brought the one charge in Troopergate against herself that by far cost the most, so if she was really concerned about Alaskans ... maybe it's that being Governor is costing HER money.

Maybe after all, everything she does is just all about Sarah? Public service is maybe just the Tollway to the treasure?

Peggy Noonan's piece about Sarah:
In television interviews she was out of her depth in a shallow pool. She was limited in her ability to explain and defend her positions, and sometimes in knowing them. She couldn't say what she read because she didn't read anything. She was utterly unconcerned by all this and seemed in fact rather proud of it: It was evidence of her authenticity. She experienced criticism as both partisan and cruel because she could see no truth in any of it. She wasn't thoughtful enough to know she wasn't thoughtful enough. Her presentation up to the end has been scattered, illogical, manipulative and self-referential to the point of self-reverence. "I'm not wired that way," "I'm not a quitter," "I'm standing up for our values." I'm, I'm, I'm.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124716984620819351.html

The accounting on the cost to Alaska for her ethics lapses seems to be a trifle inflated. I wonder if she thought people wouldn't add up the numbers?
A $30,000 an hour attorney? Palin report overstates inquiries' costs

There's some double counting and other problems with a spreadsheet outlining $1.9 million in state costs for ethics complaints, public records requests and lawsuits directed at Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/310/story/71675.html

The cost of Troopergate was apparently over $500,000. And that was a complaint that she initiated against herself, to short-circuit legislative action. Apparently she wasn't so concerned for Alaska pocketbooks at that time when it advantaged her to spend their money.

LowlyPion said:

Good article.

Sort of makes me wonder if the elites of the GOP love Palin for the same reason they loved GWB so much...put a simpleton in White House, and the real power is available to those who know which strings to pull.

Oddly there is another board I go to occasionally that has been bombarded lately by spambots quoting snippets of news articles about Sarah Palin.