1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SAT level slope question

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    Had a SAT level geometry question from a student and didn't know how to solve it. I redrew what the picture was and the question asked for the slope. I know PF better than that but don't just give me the answer bc I need to know how to solve.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is not enough information on the picture. You need to specify the coordinates of two points to get the slope.

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3
    Perhaps we're given that the point of intersection bisects the line segment between the axes. That would be solvable. OP, is that an additional given?

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

The equation of a line is [itex]y=ax+b[/itex] for some unknown constants a and b. Since we are given the value of one of the points, (x,y)=(3,4) then plugging it into this equation yields [itex]4=3a+b[/itex]

Just one more equation and then we can solve for a and b simultaneously. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook