Which is Faster: SATA 5400rpm or USB2 7200rpm for Notebook Storage Expansion?

• Thread starter csopi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two options for expanding storage capacity on a notebook: a 1 TB internal 5400 rpm with SATA or a 2 TB external 7200 rpm with USB 2. The speed is compared between USB 2 and SATA, with SATA being faster but USB 2 being limited by its maximum speed of 480 Mbit/s. The speed of 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm depends on the drive and reviews should be checked for actual numbers. 5400 rpm drives have the advantages of using less power, being quieter, and lasting longer, but may not have a noticeable difference in speed when used for mass storage. The conversation also mentions the importance of the USB 2 bottleneck for data transfer
csopi
Hi,

I need to expand my storage capacity on my notebook. I'm considering 2 options:

1 TB internal 5400 rpm with sata (or sata2 if my notebook is capable of)

or

2 TB external 7200 rpm with usb 2 (the hdd can do usb 3, but I don't have usb 3 port in my computer)

Can you give me some points regarding speed?

Computer science news on Phys.org
USB2 can do 480 Mbit/s, while SATA1 can do 1500 Mbit/s (SATA2 being double). As for the speed of the 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm, this will depend on the drive. I recommend you search for the model number and find some reviews for actual numbers. A quick check seems to show modern 5400 rpm drives doing about 500 Mbit/s while 7200 rpm drives can do about 1000 Mbit/s. With the USB2 bottle neck that would make the two drives pretty close.

5400 rpm have the advantage of using less power, being quieter, and often lasting longer. If you are using this drive for extra mass storage (movies, music, etc) then you may not notice any difference in speed very much. It will only matter when you transfer data to or from the drive.

Thank you for the quick reply.

What is the difference between Sata 5400rpm and usb2 7200rpm?

The main difference between Sata 5400rpm and usb2 7200rpm is the interface and the rotational speed. Sata 5400rpm is a type of hard drive that connects to a computer using a serial ATA interface and has a rotational speed of 5400 revolutions per minute. On the other hand, usb2 7200rpm is a type of external hard drive that connects to a computer using a USB 2.0 interface and has a rotational speed of 7200 revolutions per minute.

Which one is better for storing large files?

In general, usb2 7200rpm is better for storing large files because it has a faster data transfer rate compared to Sata 5400rpm. This means it can transfer large files more quickly, making it more suitable for tasks such as video editing or gaming.

Which one is more durable?

Both Sata 5400rpm and usb2 7200rpm are built to withstand regular use, but usb2 7200rpm may be more durable due to its external casing, which provides extra protection against physical damage. However, the durability ultimately depends on the specific model and how well it is maintained.

Can I use Sata 5400rpm as an external hard drive?

No, you cannot use Sata 5400rpm as an external hard drive because it requires a direct connection to a computer's motherboard to function. It is designed to be installed inside a computer's casing, not as an external device.

Which one is more energy-efficient?

In terms of energy efficiency, Sata 5400rpm consumes less power compared to usb2 7200rpm. This is because it is designed for use in laptops and other portable devices, which require less power to operate. However, the energy consumption may vary depending on the specific model and usage.