Satellite Link Design: Find Tx for Satellite & Ground Sides

The 9600 symbol/s signal would have a bandwidth of 4.8kHz. In summary, the problem is to find the Tx for the satellite and ground side given the bit rate and channel bandwidth. The approach involves using Shannon's equation and accounting for all the losses to calculate the EIRP and then the Tx. However, the given bit rate of 9600 bits/second is incorrect as it would require a bandwidth of 10 MHz, which is not possible for a 9600 symbol/s signal. This could be the reason for the incorrect calculation of (S/N) and the overall approach may need to be re-evaluated.
warp_zone

Homework Statement

Given:
Bit rate = C = 9600 bits/second
Channel Bandwidth = B = 10 MHz
Find Tx for satellite side and ground side

Homework Equations

Shannon's equation: C = B*log {1+(S/N)} (log is to the base 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this is how I decided to approach the problem
Use Shannon's equation> calculate (S/N)> account for all the losses> calculate EIRP> calculate Tx
But I seem to be going wrong in the beginning itself
After computation, I calculated (S/N) to be -31.77 dB or -1.77 dBm (which is definitely wrong!)

Could you please point out the mistake? Is it in my computation or my interpretation of the Shannon's equation? Or is my entire approach gravely wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bit rate = C = 9600 bits/second
Channel Bandwidth = B = 10 MHz

IMHO the given bitrate is not correct. 9,6 kbps carrier can't take 10Mhz of bandwidth.

1. What is a satellite link design?

A satellite link design is a method of establishing communication between a satellite in space and a ground station on Earth. It involves determining the transmit (Tx) power required for both the satellite and ground sides in order to achieve a reliable and efficient connection.

2. Why is it important to find the Tx for both the satellite and ground sides?

Finding the appropriate Tx power for both the satellite and ground sides is crucial for establishing a stable and reliable connection. If one side has a significantly higher or lower Tx power than the other, it can lead to communication issues such as signal loss or interference.

3. How is the Tx for the satellite side determined?

The Tx power for the satellite side is determined by considering factors such as the distance between the satellite and ground station, the type of antenna being used, and the desired data rate. This can be calculated using various formulas and simulations.

4. What factors affect the Tx for the ground side?

The Tx power for the ground side is affected by factors such as the size and type of antenna, the atmospheric conditions, and any obstacles between the ground station and the satellite. These factors can impact the strength and quality of the signal being transmitted.

5. How does the Tx for both sides impact the overall performance of the satellite link?

The Tx power for both the satellite and ground sides directly affects the overall performance of the satellite link. If the Tx power is too low, the signal may be weak and prone to interference. If it is too high, it can cause unnecessary energy consumption and potential damage to equipment. Finding the optimal Tx power for both sides is essential for optimal performance.