Satellite orbit problem

In summary, a satellite orbit problem refers to the challenges of determining and maintaining a satellite's trajectory in space. Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as Kepler's laws, to calculate the orbit, while also considering factors such as mass, velocity, and gravitational pull. Common challenges include atmospheric drag, collisions, and changes in gravitational pull. To correct for errors, scientists use orbit determination and may make adjustments through firing thrusters or using gravitational assist. There are also different types of satellite orbits based on their purpose, such as low Earth orbit, geostationary orbit, and polar orbit.
smw1016
At what altitude will a satellite complete a circular orbit of the Earth in 1.8 hours?

i used r=(GMT^2/4pi^2)^1/3 -Radius of the earth.

but I am keep getting wrong answer please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that equation is correct. You may want to double-check the units: is everything in terms of m, s, and kg? (I.e., not km for example.)

I understand your frustration with this problem. It can be challenging to accurately calculate the altitude needed for a satellite to complete a circular orbit in a specific amount of time. However, I would recommend double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for each variable. Additionally, it may be helpful to break down the equation step by step to ensure you are following the correct order of operations. It may also be beneficial to consult with other experts or resources to confirm your answer. Keep in mind that scientific calculations can be complex and require attention to detail, so it's essential to take your time and check your work carefully. Good luck!

What is a satellite orbit problem?

A satellite orbit problem refers to the mathematical and physical challenges involved in determining and maintaining the trajectory of a satellite in space. This includes factors such as gravitational pull, atmospheric drag, and other forces that can affect the path of a satellite.

How do scientists calculate the orbit of a satellite?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate the trajectory of a satellite. They also take into account factors such as the satellite's mass, velocity, and the gravitational pull of the bodies it is orbiting.

What are some common challenges with satellite orbits?

Some common challenges with satellite orbits include maintaining a stable path due to atmospheric drag, avoiding collisions with other objects in space, and dealing with changes in gravitational pull from other bodies in the solar system.

How do scientists correct for errors in satellite orbits?

Scientists use a process called orbit determination to analyze data from the satellite and make adjustments to its trajectory. This can involve firing small thrusters on the satellite or using gravitational assist from other bodies to correct the orbit.

Are there different types of satellite orbits?

Yes, there are different types of satellite orbits depending on the purpose of the satellite. Some common types include low Earth orbit for communication and remote sensing satellites, geostationary orbit for weather and communication satellites, and polar orbit for Earth observation and mapping satellites.