What Causes the Discrepancy in Doppler Shift for Satellites in Orbit?

In summary, the conversation discussed the Doppler shift at various ham radio frequencies and the calculation of the relative velocity of a satellite in a circular orbit at an altitude of 800 km. The expected difference between the calculated velocity and the orbital speed was thought to be 465 m/s, but it was almost twice as much. The conversation also mentioned considering the angle between the satellite and receiver direction and the orbital speed of the satellite being calculated for the Earth's center. Through further calculations and explanations, it was determined that the difference was due to the satellite never moving directly towards the receiver and the position and velocity of the receiver relative to the orbit.
pan Hole
At page http://www.qsl.net/vk3jed/doppler.html" is discussed Doppler shift at various ham radio frequencies. I calculated for this Doppler shift relative velocity of their satellite as 6720 m/s. Their satellite in height of 800 km above ground and at circular orbit should have velocity of 7453 m/s (orbital speed). I thought that difference between these two values should be max 465 m/s (rotation of Earth at equator), but it is almost twice as much... Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 6720m/s will be the maximum velocity of the satellite relative to the receiver on ground. You have to consider the angle between satellite and receiver direction.

For a satellite at horizon the relative velocity(neglecting Earth rotation) would be 7453*cos(pi/2-asin(6378/(6378+800)))=6622.

log0 said:
The 6720m/s will be the maximum velocity of the satellite relative to the receiver on ground. You have to consider the angle between satellite and receiver direction.

For a satellite at horizon the relative velocity(neglecting Earth rotation) would be 7453*cos(pi/2-asin(6378/(6378+800)))=6622.

He said their answer is bigger, not smaller, so the effect you mention is probably not what is causing the difference.

pan Hole said:
At page http://www.qsl.net/vk3jed/doppler.html" is discussed Doppler shift at various ham radio frequencies. I calculated for this Doppler shift relative velocity of their satellite as 6720 m/s. Their satellite in height of 800 km above ground and at circular orbit should have velocity of 7453 m/s (orbital speed). I thought that difference between these two values should be max 465 m/s (rotation of Earth at equator), but it is almost twice as much... Any ideas?

I get numbers close to yours. So if you add the two velocities, you get close to 7900m/s. Which band number are you using to say that they get twice the shift?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
I get numbers close to yours. So if you add the two velocities, you get close to 7900m/s. Which band number are you using to say that they get twice the shift?

For any frequency in Table 1 I got same relative velocity -6718 m/s caluclated this way:

[tex]v = - \frac{\Delta f c}{f_0}[/tex]

For orbital speed:

[tex]v = \sqrt{ \frac{G M}{ R + h }}[/tex]

at altitude of 800 km i got 7466 m/s. Difference is 748 m/s. That means, I didn't get twice the shift, from shift which I suppose is correct I got twice the velocity.

Last edited:
OK. Let's try it again. The speed the OP has calculated(6718 m/s) is the maximum relative speed between the satellite and the receiver, not the orbital speed of the satellite(7453 m/s).

The satellite is never moving directly towards the receiver on ground. There is a height difference of 800km between both. You have to consider receiver position and velocity relative to the orbit.

The example calculation I have offered has been for the most simple case I can think of. Having a fixed receiver placed in the orbit plane and the satellite passing the horizon. A satellite passing the zenith would have a relative speed of 0 m/s.

log0 said:
OK. Let's try it again. The speed the OP has calculated(6718 m/s) is the maximum relative speed between the satellite and the receiver, not the orbital speed of the satellite(7453 m/s).

The satellite is never moving directly towards the receiver on ground. There is a height difference of 800km between both. You have to consider receiver position and velocity relative to the orbit.

The example calculation I have offered has been for the most simple case I can think of. Having a fixed receiver placed in the orbit plane and the satellite passing the horizon. A satellite passing the zenith would have a relative speed of 0 m/s.

I am starting to understand the problem... Orbital velocity is calculated fot Earths centre and receiver is 6378 km from that centre, right? But I still don't see the way to calculation you posted...

Last edited:
Here is a sketch. :)

Attachments

• sat.png
    sat.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,618
Thank you very much, now I understand it. I plotted Doppler shifts calculated from your formula and I got exactly same graphs as showed on that webpage.

What are satellites and how do they work?

Satellites are objects that orbit around a larger object in space. They are typically launched into orbit around the Earth and can be used for communication, navigation, weather forecasting, and more. Satellites work by constantly moving around the Earth at a specific speed and altitude, while also maintaining a stable position relative to the Earth's surface.

How do satellites use Doppler shift?

Satellites use Doppler shift to accurately determine their position and velocity. Doppler shift is the change in frequency of a signal caused by the relative motion between the satellite and the receiver on Earth. By measuring this shift, satellites can calculate their speed, location, and trajectory.

What is the difference between uplink and downlink frequencies in satellite communication?

In satellite communication, uplink frequencies refer to the radio signals transmitted from the Earth to the satellite, while downlink frequencies refer to the signals transmitted from the satellite back to the Earth. Uplink and downlink frequencies are usually different to prevent interference and ensure efficient communication between the satellite and the Earth.

How does the Doppler shift affect satellite communication?

The Doppler shift can affect satellite communication by causing a shift in the frequency of the signal. This can lead to errors in communication if not accounted for. However, satellite communication systems are designed to compensate for this shift and maintain a stable and accurate connection between the satellite and the Earth.

What is the role of Doppler shift in GPS navigation?

Doppler shift is a crucial component in GPS navigation. It allows the GPS receiver to accurately determine its position by measuring the frequency shift of the signals from multiple satellites. By using the Doppler shift, the receiver can calculate its speed and location, and triangulate its position on the Earth's surface.