Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    For the distance function ##(\Delta s)^2 = (\Delta r)^2 + (r \Delta \theta)^2##, the rotation matrix is ##R(\theta) = \begin{pmatrix} cos\ \theta & - sin\ \theta \\ sin\ \theta & cos\ \theta \end{pmatrix}##.

That means that for the distance function ##(\Delta s)^2 = (\Delta r)^2 + ((1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})r \Delta \theta)^2##, the rotation matrix is ## R(\theta) = \begin{pmatrix} cos\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] & - sin\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] \\ sin\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] & cos\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] \end{pmatrix}##?

The generator for the original rotation matrix is ##X = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}##. That means that the new rotation matrix has the generator ##X = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi}) \\ i(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi}) & 0 \end{pmatrix}##?

The problem with this is that because ##R(\theta) = \mathbb{1} - i \theta X + ...##, I can only see one generator ##X## when in fact there should be two generators because there are two parameters ##\theta## and ##\phi##.

Any thoughts on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

SO(2) is a one dimensional group. You should not have two parameters.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A map from ##\mathbb R^2## to ##\mathbb R^2## that preserves (Euclidean) distances and angles is always an orthogonal linear operator. The determinant of an orthogonal linear operator is always 1 or -1. SO(2) consists of the ones with determinant 1.

I'm not sure what happens when you replace the Euclidean distance function on ##\mathbb R^2## with another one. Are you sure that your new function even satisfies the definition of a metric? I don't think it can be a metric, since there's a second parameter in there. Did you intend for it to be a metric on ##\mathbb R^3## rather than ##\mathbb R^2##? Or is it supposed to be a metric on a plane through the origin in ##\mathbb R^3## that isn't the xy-plane? (If ##\phi## is the angle that the plane makes with the z axis, or something like that, then it's not really a parameter).

I think you will have to explain that distance function and how you got from the first rotation matrix to the second. The second is just a standard rotation matrix for the angle ##\big(1-\frac{\phi}{2\pi}\big)\theta##. The group has only one generator, not one generator for each angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook