Schematic for a Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72

In summary, the individual is searching for a schematic diagram for a Tenma 705-72 DC laboratory power supply with two channels using LM723 regulators and 2N3055 power transistors. One channel is operating normally while the other is outputting maximum voltage. Any assistance, particularly in finding a schematic diagram, would be appreciated. The suggestion is to start with data sheets for the LM723 regulators and compare the two channels to inspect for any burned parts. If necessary, both the LM723 and 2N3055 should be replaced. The individual also mentions finding a reference for obtaining a schematic from MCM Electronics (now owned by Newark) and expresses interest in bookmarking the website for future use.
James Silva
I am searching for a legible schematic diagram for a Tenma 705-72 DC laboratory power supply. Each of its two channels uses a LM723 regulator and a pair of 2N3055 power transistors. One of the channels operates normally; the second channel puts out the maximum voltage (37 volts). Any help, particularly a schematic diagram, would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would start with data sheets for the LM723 regulators. There is only so far the power supply design can get away from what is recommended in application data.

Likes Borek and Asymptotic
Adding to that, you have two almost identical channels to compare...

Likes dlgoff, Asymptotic and Averagesupernova
  1. Inspect for burned parts; replace as needed.
  2. Replace both the LM723 and the 2N3055. (they are cheap)
If the 2N3055 failed, it likely took the LM723 with it.

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT: I found one 5 year old reference that said they contacted MCM Electronics for a schematic and they sent him one! MCM is now owned by http://www.newark.com, which sells the Tenma product line.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Tom.G said:
... owned by http://www.newark.com
Nice. I use to do a lot of catalog ordering before there was an "internet".
... bookmarking :approve:

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72?

The Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72 is a device used to provide a stable and adjustable source of direct current (DC) electricity. It is commonly used in laboratories, electronic equipment testing, and other research and development applications.

2. How does the Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72 work?

The Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72 works by converting alternating current (AC) electricity from a power outlet into direct current (DC) electricity, which can then be adjusted to a specific voltage and current output using the knobs and buttons on the device. The output can be used to power electronic circuits and devices for testing and experimentation.

3. What are the main features of the Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72?

The Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72 has several key features including adjustable voltage and current output, LED displays for monitoring output levels, overvoltage and overcurrent protection, and a compact and portable design. It also has a built-in cooling fan to prevent overheating during extended use.

4. How do I use the Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72 for my experiments?

To use the Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72, first connect it to a power source using the included power cord. Then, adjust the knobs and buttons to set the desired voltage and current output. Connect the output terminals to your electronic circuit or device and turn on the power supply. Monitor the output levels on the LED displays and make adjustments as needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using the Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72?

As with any electrical equipment, it is important to follow safety precautions when using the Tenma DC Power Supply 705-72. Always ensure that the device is properly grounded and avoid touching any live wires or terminals. Do not exceed the maximum voltage and current ratings of the power supply to prevent damage to the device or potential hazards. It is also recommended to use the power supply in a well-ventilated area and to avoid exposing it to moisture or extreme temperatures.