MSEE Programs for Low GPA - Schools & Atlanta Area Options

In summary, the person is seeking advice on applying to a Masters Electrical Engineering program despite having a lower GPA. They have a BSEE from Georgia Tech and have been working as an electrical engineer for 3 years. They are looking for online programs or schools in the Atlanta area and are wondering if it is worth applying to schools with a minimum 3.0 GPA requirement. They have also previously started an MSEE program at the University of South Alabama but had to leave due to medical reasons. The person has received advice to not let their GPA discourage them and to highlight their strengths and experiences in their application. They have also been recommended to look into Georgia Tech's online program and to reach out to admissions departments for more insight.
smk037
Hello all,

I am currently trying to get into a Masters Electrical Engineering program. I earned my BSEE from Georgia Tech ~3 years ago, and have been working as an electrical engineer since. Unfortunately, my GPA was quite low when graduating (~2.84). I did reasonably well on my GREs, (600 verbal, 780 math).

Does anyone know any good online programs that I can apply to, or any schools in the Atlanta area? Is it worth applying to any schools requiring a minimum 3.0 gpa?

I had also started my MSEE about a year ago at University of South Alabama, but had to leave and move due to medical reasons. (I only took one course and received an A).

Currently, I'm planning on applying to:
University of Central Florida (online MSEE).
NJIT (online MSEE, minimum 2.8gpa requirement).

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

As a fellow electrical engineer, I understand your concerns about applying to Masters programs with a lower GPA. However, I would encourage you to not let that discourage you from pursuing your goals. There are many factors that go into admissions decisions, and a low GPA does not necessarily mean you are not a strong candidate.

In terms of online programs, I would recommend looking into the Georgia Institute of Technology's online Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering program. This would allow you to continue your education while staying in the Atlanta area. Additionally, Georgia Tech is a highly reputable institution with a strong engineering program.

I would also recommend reaching out to the admissions departments of the schools you are interested in and explaining your situation. They may be able to provide more insight into their admissions criteria and potentially consider your extenuating circumstances.

In terms of whether it is worth applying to schools with a minimum 3.0 GPA requirement, I would say it is always worth a shot. Your GRE scores and professional experience may also play a significant role in the admissions decision.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on highlighting your strengths and experiences in your application and to not let your GPA hold you back. Best of luck in your application process!

What is an MSEE program?

An MSEE program is a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program. It is a graduate level program that focuses on advanced topics in electrical engineering and prepares students for careers in the field.

What is considered a low GPA for MSEE programs?

A low GPA for MSEE programs is typically considered to be below a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, this may vary depending on the specific program and school.

What are some schools in the Atlanta area that offer MSEE programs for students with low GPAs?

Some schools in the Atlanta area that offer MSEE programs for students with low GPAs include Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, and Kennesaw State University. These schools may have specific requirements or programs for students with lower GPAs, so it is important to research each school's admissions criteria.

What are the benefits of attending an MSEE program for students with low GPAs?

Attending an MSEE program for students with low GPAs can provide an opportunity to improve academic skills and demonstrate a commitment to the field of electrical engineering. Additionally, these programs may have additional resources and support for students with lower GPAs to help them succeed in their studies.

Are there any alternative options for students with low GPAs interested in pursuing an MSEE program?

Yes, there are alternative options for students with low GPAs interested in pursuing an MSEE program. Some schools may offer conditional admission programs or bridge programs that allow students to take additional courses to improve their GPA before officially enrolling in the MSEE program. Additionally, some schools may consider other factors such as work experience or letters of recommendation when evaluating applicants with lower GPAs.