Schrodinger equation for three dimention?

In summary, the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the wavefunction in three dimensions is a function of position (x,y,z) and is expressed as -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2\psi (x,y,z) + U(x,y,z)\psi(x,y,z) = E\psi(x,y,z), where \nabla^2 is the Laplacian. The solutions to this equation depend on the potential and boundary conditions, and can be expressed in various coordinate systems. In the case of an electron confined within a three-dimensional cubic region, the solutions are given by the infinite square well problem equation with appropriate boundary conditions. The energy levels are quantized by the principle quantum number
budafeet57
I have learned time-independent schrodinger equation only from my textbook.
I know Eψ(x) = - hbar^2 / 2m ψ''(x) + Uψ(x)
and ψ(x) = Asinkx + B coskx

what if it's three dimention?
do I do Eψ(x, y, z) = - hbar^2 / 2m ψ''(x, y, z) + Uψ(x, y, z) ?
and what is the wave equation supposed to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Close. In three dimensions the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the wavefunction (in Cartesian coordinates) is

[itex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2\psi (x,y,z) + U(x,y,z)\psi(x,y,z) = E\psi(x,y,z)[/itex]

where [itex]\nabla^2[/itex] is the Laplacian. You could also express this in coordinate systems other than Cartesian (spherical, cylindrical, etc.)

What the solutions are depends on what the potential is and what the boundary conditions are.

Thanks.
I was doing a problem: An electron is confined within a three-dimentional cubic region the
size of an atom where L = 200 pm.

and I remembered somehow, my teacher gave me these equation
VcWiK.jpg

do they work in such condition?

That's the solution to the infinite square well problem in three dimensions. Here is a derivation for the solution in one dimension, you can generalize it to three.

The first equation is the time-independent portion of the wavefunction, and the second line contains the boundary conditions. Since the outside of the box is an infinite potential, no particle may be found there. So, ## \psi ## must take a value of zero at the edges (0, and L). The third line is the time-independent SE in three dimensions. Finally, the last line gives you the energy levels, which you should notice are quantized by the principle quantum number (n).

The Schrodinger equation for three dimensions is indeed an extension of the time-independent equation you have learned. In three dimensions, we consider the position of a particle in three coordinates: x, y, and z. This means that the wave function, ψ, will also have three variables: ψ(x,y,z). The potential energy, U, will also be a function of all three coordinates: U(x,y,z).

Therefore, the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions is:

Eψ(x,y,z) = - hbar^2 / 2m [ψ''(x,y,z) + ψ''(x,y,z) + ψ''(x,y,z)] + U(x,y,z) ψ(x,y,z)

The wave equation, or the solution to the Schrodinger equation, will now be a three-dimensional function. In your example, the wave function for one dimension is ψ(x) = Asinkx + Bcoskx. In three dimensions, it will look something like ψ(x,y,z) = Asinkx + Bcoskx + Csinky + Dcosky + Esinkz + Fcoskz. This is just an example, as the exact form of the wave function will depend on the specific potential energy and boundary conditions of the system you are studying.

I hope this clarifies the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions. Keep in mind that this is just a basic overview and there are many more complexities and applications of this equation in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

What is the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions?

The Schrodinger equation for three dimensions is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in three-dimensional space. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

What are the variables in the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions?

The Schrodinger equation for three dimensions contains three variables: time (t), position in the x, y, and z directions (x, y, z), and the quantum state of the particle (Ψ). These variables are used to describe the behavior and position of a quantum particle in three-dimensional space.

How is the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions used in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation for three dimensions is used to predict the behavior of quantum particles in three-dimensional space. It is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain position or state at a given time.

What are the limitations of the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions?

The Schrodinger equation for three dimensions is limited in its ability to accurately predict the behavior of particles at very small scales and high energies. It also cannot fully explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of entangled particles.

How does the Schrodinger equation for three dimensions relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation for three dimensions is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The Schrodinger equation helps to describe this uncertainty in the behavior of quantum particles.