Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrödinger equation: macro level

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    Is it possible, in theory, to describe a macroscopic object with the Schrödinger equation (its location for example)?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, there is no "scale" in the SE. The main problem is that you of course also need an relevant Hamiltonian for what you are modeling; preferably one that can be used to solve the problem and for most macroscopic objekt the Hamiltonian is very complicated.

In reality, most people tend to prefer the Heisenberg (or more generally interaction) picture when they model 'simple' macroscopic objects such as superconducting devices for various technical reasons (mainly because it is easier to handle dissipation) but you can always re-write this as a SE

Also, note that solid state qubits are quite large, several square microns (which doesn't sound like much, but you can e.g. easily see them in a decent optical microscope). and they are quite well described by 'simple' SE that can actually be solved.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3
    Thanks! In another discussion I'm involved in I stated rather confidently that it is indeed possible, but then it suddenly struck me that my memory might be at fault.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?