1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrondinger Wave Equation

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solving Normalized case of schrondinger wave equation

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This type of question is not normalized case of solving using schrondiger equation. Any example of solving normalized case using schrondinger equation ? How would it be ? Using same formula and same way of solving ?

Thank you
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The Schrodinger equation is a linear equation, so if ##\psi## is a solution, any constant multiple of it will also be a solution. When normalize the solution, you're simply requiring that the constant be chosen such that
    $$\int \psi^*\psi\,dx = 1.$$

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    Yes. I am aware about that. Just that I wanted some example problem solving on how to solve for normalize case and how would the question asked ?

Thank you

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What do you mean by "solve for normalize case"? I suggest you look up the infinite square well in your textbook. That's probably the simplest example.

6. Jun 7, 2012 #5
    As attached, the wave equation given is not normalized case and we solve it using Not Normalized method. I want to ask how would it be if the wave equation given is in NORMALISED form and how to solve it ?

Thank you

7. Jun 7, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What you're saying doesn't make sense. There is no such thing as a normalized case of the wave equation. You have the wave equation. You find solutions. You normalize the solutions. That's it.

8. Jun 7, 2012 #7
    Initially, I get the wave equation , then I try to do see whether the wave equation is normalized or not by see this condition :
    If
    <refer attachment>

then the wave equation is normalized.

If it is not, means the wave equation is not NORMALIZED

Attached Files:

9. Jun 7, 2012 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

10. Jun 7, 2012 #9
    Have you refer to the very first attachment ? It is given the solution of the wave equation already. But we have to find the momentum in x and y

11. Jun 7, 2012 #10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook