1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwartz inequality proof over complex

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider any two vectors, [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|b\rangle[/itex]. Prove the Schwartz inequality
    [tex]
    |\langle a|b \rangle |^2 \leq \langle a|a \rangle \langle b|b \rangle
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    a basic understanding of vector calculus over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wanted to do this proof almost the same way I do it over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], except I'm not sure if I can follow through with the normal quadratic part...

I start with [itex]|\psi\rangle =|a\rangle + c |b\rangle [/itex] and using the fact that [itex]\langle\psi | \psi \rangle \geq 0[/itex] I get
    [tex]
    0\leq \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \langle a|a \rangle + c\langle a|b\rangle + c^{\ast}\langle b|a\rangle + |c|^2\langle b|b\rangle
    [/tex]
    which can be written
    [tex]
    0\leq \langle a|a\rangle + 2\Re[c\langle a|b\rangle ] +|c|^2\langle b|b\rangle
    [/tex]
    So I'm wondering if I can consider this quadratic in [itex]c[/itex] and claim that
    [tex]
    (2|\langle a|b\rangle |)^2-4\langle a|a\rangle \langle b|b\rangle \leq 0
    [/tex]

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so for the real case
    [tex] 0\leq \langle a|a\rangle + 2\Re[c\langle a|b\rangle ] +|c|^2\langle b|b\rangle [/tex]

becomes
    [tex] 0\leq \langle a|a\rangle + c\langle a|b\rangle +c^2\langle b|b\rangle [/tex]

however for the complex case, that simplification does not occur. so I'm not convinced you can treat the quadratic the same as both the complex parts of c & <a|b> will cause complication - that said I'm not that familiar with this method...

The way I've seen that works for a general inner product space is to write |b> in as a summation of components perpendicular and parallel to |a> and prove it direct form there
    [tex] |b\rangle = \langle a|b \rangle|a \rangle + |z\rangle [/tex]

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    Why do you think c must be complex? All the inner products you are using result in real numbers.

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

as the vectors are arbitrary <a|b> may be complex

now unless a constraint is put on c, then I would assume it can also be complex

now it is true that all the terms in the following expression are real, otherwise the inequality would not make sense
    [tex] 0 \leq \langle a|a\rangle + 2\Re[c\langle a|b\rangle ] +|c|^2\langle b|b\rangle [/tex]

now say we set c to be from the reals, then the inequality becomes
    [tex] 0 \leq \langle a|a\rangle + 2c\Re[\langle a|b\rangle ] +|c|^2\langle b|b\rangle [/tex]

this is a real quadratic in c, though I'm not sure how the part about Re{<a|b>} could be massaged into the required form?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  6. Aug 29, 2011 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If all else fails, split things into real and imaginary parts.

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6
    I think I got it, let
    [tex]
    |\psi\rangle = |b\rangle - \frac{ \langle a|b\rangle }{\langle a|a\rangle }|a\rangle
    [/tex]
    then
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    0\leq \langle \psi|\psi\rangle &= \left( \langle b|-\frac{\langle b|a\rangle}{\langle a|a\rangle}\langle a| \right) \left( |b\rangle -\frac{\langle a|b\rangle}{\langle a|a\rangle}|a\rangle \right) \\
    &=\langle b|b\rangle - \frac{\langle a|b\rangle \langle b|a\rangle}{\langle a|a\rangle}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    and the result clearly follows.

How does this look?

8. Aug 29, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

yep that's looking good to me

its worth noting the equality holds when |a> and |b> are parallel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook