Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science which goes into computing hurricane predictions

1. Aug 26, 2017 #1

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With Hurricane Harvey hitting the Texas Gulf Coast, I came across this article, while trying to learn about these different computer models.
    I found the article in this PDF file an interesting read. I'm sure that there have been some advances in real-time prediction methods, since this article (Nov. 2008). And yet we still have estimates, which often disagree with each other.
    https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/documents/13601/125287/science_center_of_storm.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2017 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Predictive analysis in multiphysics is challenging.

4. Aug 26, 2017 #3

BillTre

Science Advisor

You might find this open access news article from Science magazine interesting.

Its about new approaches in weather and climate prediction.

5. Aug 29, 2017 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor

Here is another news article from Science magazine, on this subject, WRT the current storm.

6. Sep 20, 2017 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Here is a summary of Maria. There is an image showing the predicted paths Maria will take over the next 5 days, hopefully out to sea, rather than over the coast.

The last image is a table with the low pressure readings from various intense hurricanes. The pressure is just one key variable one has to include in a simulation.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as...st-awaits-its-next-move/ar-AAsgETl?li=BBmkt5R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted