Discover Your Personality Type: Take the Quiz!

• Thread starter cesarcesar2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz Type
In summary, the conversation is about creating a personality quiz with 50 questions and 5 possible answers for each question. Each answer is weighted to fit a specific personality type, with a scale of +6 to -6. The issue is in determining a scoring algorithm that accurately reflects the results. Two attempts have been made, one involving a multiple count of all questions times 7 and dividing by total points, and the other involving adding the highest value from each question's answers together for each personality type. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to try "indexing" values for a more accurate scoring system.
cesarcesar2
I making a personality quiz that goes like the following.

User takes a test to determine which type of person they are more like. So there will be say 5 types, each given a percentage of 100 that they are closest to at quiz end. The test has 50 questions, plus a age question and a sex question. Each test has 5 possible answers. The user clicks through radio button to fill out the quiz. No sweat so far.

My issue is in the test scoring, this is were i get confused. When making a test, each answer is weighted to fit a specific personality type. The weights are shown on screen as +6 thru 0 thru -6. (In code as 1-13, zero the default get 7 points). I have tried a few different scoring algos but non seem to be accurate. One other thing, I have to assume that a value other than zero WILL NOT be chosen when building a quiz.

1st try - Multiple count of all questions times 7 (7 is middle or 0 on scale), then divide by total points gotten from weighted answers. This ends up being something like 350/372 = 94%. This is all good till you get a score like 350/352 = 99%. In percentage you can assume that the second score is higher, but in reality the first score had the greater point spread.

2nd try - Add the highest value (up to 13) from each questions answers together for each personality type, then divide by total points gotten from weighted answers. This ends up something similar to the above try, but with higher percentages going to those personality types with answers that have no weights attached to them.

OK so now that i have written this I am really thinking that the quizzes will not work if weights are not set to other than zero (aka 7 points). Am I totally off here? Can anyone lead me in a proper direction. Thanks much for helping my keep what hair is left on my head.

Cesar

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Before you "bump", make sure what you have written is intelligible!

cesarcesar2 said:
I making a personality quiz that goes like the following.

User takes a test to determine which type of person they are more like. So there will be say 5 types, each given a percentage of 100 that they are closest to at quiz end. The test has 50 questions, plus a age question and a sex question. Each test has 5 possible answers. The user clicks through radio button to fill out the quiz. No sweat so far.
What, even the sex question has 5 possible answers? If you are only talking about the "50 questions" don't make things ambiguous by adding irrelevant information.

My issue is in the test scoring, this is were i get confused. When making a test, each answer is weighted to fit a specific personality type. The weights are shown on screen as +6 thru 0 thru -6. (In code as 1-13, zero the default get 7 points). I have tried a few different scoring algos but non seem to be accurate.
What do you mean by "accurate"? Determining whether or not an algorithm is "accurate" requires knowing what the "correct" answer is. Are you talking about creating a scoring algorithm for a test you are making or are you trying to figure out what algorithm a test you found on the internet is using?

One other thing, I have to assume that a value other than zero WILL NOT be chosen when building a quiz.

1st try - Multiple count of all questions times 7 (7 is middle or 0 on scale), then divide by total points gotten from weighted answers. This ends up being something like 350/372 = 94%. This is all good till you get a score like 350/352 = 99%. In percentage you can assume that the second score is higher, but in reality the first score had the greater point spread.

2nd try - Add the highest value (up to 13) from each questions answers together for each personality type, then divide by total points gotten from weighted answers. This ends up something similar to the above try, but with higher percentages going to those personality types with answers that have no weights attached to them.

OK so now that i have written this I am really thinking that the quizzes will not work if weights are not set to other than zero (aka 7 points). Am I totally off here? Can anyone lead me in a proper direction. Thanks much for helping my keep what hair is left on my head.

Cesar
What most such "tests" do is just add the numeric value of all the answers. Each "personality" would correspond to a range of possible sums.

I'm not really sure what you're asking but...

Why not try "indexing" values? For example...

Question1
~~~~~~
Choice A gives +2 points to personality A, +1 to personality B, +0 to personality C, etc.

Choice B gives +1 points to personality A, +4 to personality B, +1 to personality C, etc.

Choice C gives +0 points to personality A, +0 to personality B, +3 to personality C, etc.
~~~~~~

Each choice increases the value (score) of differing personalities?

Then again, I might be answering the wrong question!

1. What is a personality type?

A personality type is a categorization of an individual's unique patterns of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that make up their overall personality. It is based on the theory of psychological types developed by Carl Jung.

2. Why should I take the "Discover Your Personality Type" quiz?

Taking the quiz can help you gain a better understanding of your own personality, including your strengths, weaknesses, and potential areas for growth. It can also provide insights into your relationships and how you interact with others.

3. How accurate is the quiz in determining my personality type?

The quiz is based on well-established personality theories and has been extensively tested and validated. However, it is important to keep in mind that it is only a tool and should not be seen as the definitive answer to your personality type.

4. Can my personality type change over time?

Your core personality type is believed to remain relatively stable throughout your life. However, certain factors such as life experiences and personal growth can influence your behavior and may cause your personality to appear different than before.

5. What can I do with the information about my personality type?

The information from the quiz can be used to gain self-awareness, identify potential career paths, improve relationships, and develop personal growth strategies. It can also help you understand and appreciate the diversity of others' personalities.