Scrapped electrical motor -> generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using old appliances, specifically electric motors from washing machines, as electrical generators by capturing energy from wind or flowing water. The concept also includes using waterwheels integrated into a pipe, powered by wind and water, as a source of energy. The speaker is open to suggestions and acknowledges their limited knowledge in physics and engineering. They are looking for a way to repurpose free components with creativity and time. A suggestion is made to research wind turbines and consider using DC motors or alternators from junked cars for better conversion rates.
kithwrike
Something like this was on this site, but I'm still not sure if this is possible.

I have this concept of taking old appliances, disassembling them, and recombining components in useful ways.

I'm wondering if I can use the electric motors, in, eg, washing machines as electrical generators if I had them capturing energy from wind or flowing water. I was even thinking about making waterwheels that would be integrated into a pipe and hooked up to a fridge compressor fan. Wind (mechanical) would draw water up from a pond to a barrel or something, and then the water would be let down through the pipe, turning the waterwheel. Like a battery.

I'm not looking for much power or anything impressively efficient. I'm talking about free components + creativity + time = useful enough.

Any comments would help. I don't know much about physics or engineering.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest you do research on wind turbines and then use that knowledge to adapt to your goals. Most of the motors you are looking at are poor dynamos vs DC motors will provide you with better conversion rates.

Likes berkeman
You would do better to alter your idea slightly. Look for alternators from junked cars.

1. Can a scrapped electrical motor be turned into a generator?

Yes, a scrapped electrical motor can be turned into a generator by reversing its function. Instead of using electricity to create motion, a generator uses motion to create electricity.

2. How does a scrapped electrical motor become a generator?

A scrapped electrical motor becomes a generator by changing the direction of the flow of electricity. In a motor, electricity flows from the power source to the motor, creating motion. In a generator, motion is used to create a flow of electricity.

3. What materials are needed to turn a scrapped electrical motor into a generator?

To turn a scrapped electrical motor into a generator, you will need a voltage regulator, a capacitor, and a battery to store the generated electricity. You may also need some basic tools such as pliers, wire strippers, and a soldering iron.

4. Is it difficult to turn a scrapped electrical motor into a generator?

The difficulty level of turning a scrapped electrical motor into a generator depends on your level of expertise and the specific motor you are working with. It may require some basic electrical knowledge and skills, but there are many tutorials and guides available online to help you through the process.

5. What are the benefits of turning a scrapped electrical motor into a generator?

Turning a scrapped electrical motor into a generator can be a cost-effective way to create your own renewable source of electricity. It can also be a fun and educational project for those interested in science and engineering. Additionally, using a generator can help reduce your reliance on traditional electricity sources, which can be beneficial for the environment.