Designing a Twin Screw Pump - Why the Pressure Loss?

In summary, screw pumps, specifically twin screw pumps, are commonly designed with an outlet at a higher level than the input due to practical considerations such as space constraints and ease of access for maintenance. This can also be seen in the design of Archimedes' screw and screw compressors. Despite the perception of a pressure loss, the output is actually creating the necessary pressure for the pump to function effectively.
steve2510
I'm having to design a screw pump and I'm a bit confused about things, I've never really seen a screw pump before. I've decided upon a twin screw - screw pump and my first question is why do most examples have an outlet at a higher level than the input, surely that just leads to a pressure loss?

Example http://pimg.tradeindia.com/00110473/b/0/Twin-Screw-Pumps.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Pressure due to height isn't loss, it is the very thing pumps are designed to create (or its twin, static pressure).

steve2510 said:
I'm having to design a screw pump and I'm a bit confused about things, I've never really seen a screw pump before. I've decided upon a twin screw - screw pump and my first question is why do most examples have an outlet at a higher level than the input, surely that just leads to a pressure loss?

Example http://pimg.tradeindia.com/00110473/b/0/Twin-Screw-Pumps.jpg [Broken]

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, remember that in use a compressor, like all equipment, is going to be installed in a room to support some other process. These things can be big, and every square foot of floor space costs money to build, or you might be trying to fit the thing into the same footprint as a compressor being replaced. Also, imagine being in a room with a large cabinet with pipes entering and exiting horizontally. Sort of hard to walk around it, right? That means it's difficult to service, and you can't even move the thing into place without having to move pipework. While the inlet might very well be connected to a large filter element nearby, the outlet pipes are probably going to be overhead simply for reasons of access. So if you have to come out of the compressor and make a 90 degree turn upwards immediately, why not just point the outlet in that direction to begin with?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of designing a twin screw pump?

The purpose of designing a twin screw pump is to efficiently transfer fluids or gases from one location to another. Twin screw pumps are known for their high flow rates, low pulsation, and gentle handling of shear-sensitive materials.

2. How does a twin screw pump work?

A twin screw pump works by using two interlocking screws (rotors) to move the fluid or gas through the pump chamber. As the rotors turn, they create a void that draws in the fluid or gas, which is then carried through the pump and discharged at the other end.

3. What factors contribute to pressure loss in a twin screw pump?

There are several factors that can contribute to pressure loss in a twin screw pump. These include the viscosity of the fluid being pumped, the clearance between the screws and the pump casing, and the speed at which the pump is operating. Additionally, any obstructions or damage to the screws or pump housing can also cause pressure loss.

4. How can pressure loss be minimized in a twin screw pump?

There are a few ways to minimize pressure loss in a twin screw pump. One way is to optimize the pump design by carefully selecting the screw geometry, rotor speed, and clearances. Another way is to ensure that the pump is properly maintained and any obstructions or damage are promptly addressed. Additionally, using a lubricant or fluid with a lower viscosity can also help reduce pressure loss.

5. What are the benefits of minimizing pressure loss in a twin screw pump?

Minimizing pressure loss in a twin screw pump can lead to several benefits, including improved efficiency, reduced energy consumption, and longer pump life. It can also help prevent cavitation, which can cause damage to the pump and decrease its performance. Additionally, minimizing pressure loss can result in a more consistent and stable flow, which is important for applications that require precise control of fluid or gas transfer.