Second attempt at applying for PhDs

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Soph_the_Oaf
  • Start date
In summary, the forum member is currently going through the interview process for PhDs in theoretical cosmology and/or particle physics. They are concerned about their chances due to feeling unprepared and are wondering whether they should cancel the remaining interviews and reapply next year. The expert advises against canceling the interviews and recommends using this year to strengthen their application, as a failed attempt this year should not necessarily damage their chances. They also suggest reaching out to universities and programs to inquire about their reapplication policies. Lastly, they emphasize the importance of passion and potential in the interview process, not just knowledge.
Soph_the_Oaf
Hello

I am currently going through the interview process for PhDs in the area of theoretical cosmology and/or particle physics.
I completed my Mphys degree 2 years ago, so obviously my physics is a little rusty.
I was planning to 'revise' but the application process took so much longer than I expected.
I also wasted time applying to groups that I realized I was not interested in joining (although i still found it helpfull to go along to open days/interviews so that I could decide I definitely didn't want to go down that path).
My interviews have been going from rubbish to OK... basically given the competition I am pretty sure I don't stand a chance.

i still have a couple of interviews left. I am wondering whether I should
a) cancel them and reapply next year, rather than getting rejected this year and damaging my chances for next year
b) go to the interviews, try my best, and then reapply next year

I do not know how damaging having a failed attempt would be.
Could i apply back to all the same places next year and expect to have the same chance as if I hadn't applied this year also?
Do places consider you if you are applying for a second time? especially in areas as competative as theoretical particle physics and cosmology.

By going to interviews this time around feeling so unprepared am i ruining my chances compared to if I just applied next year having had time to revise ?
Should I cancel the remaining two interviews I have left?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on your Mphys degree and for making it to the interview process for PhDs in theoretical cosmology and/or particle physics. It is a highly competitive field and you should be proud of your achievements so far.

In terms of your concerns about feeling unprepared for the interviews and potentially damaging your chances, I would recommend that you do not cancel the remaining two interviews. It is always a good idea to take any opportunity to gain experience and practice, even if you feel like you may not be fully prepared. These interviews can serve as valuable learning experiences for future applications and can also help you determine what areas you need to focus on for improvement.

In terms of reapplying next year, having a failed attempt this year should not necessarily damage your chances. In fact, it can show your determination and commitment to pursuing a PhD in this field. However, it is important to use this year to strengthen your application and address any weaknesses that may have come up during the interview process.

Additionally, it is important to note that each university and program may have different policies on reapplying. Some may consider previous applications, while others may not. It is always worth reaching out to the admissions office or potential supervisors to inquire about their policies.

In terms of revising, it is always beneficial to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals in your field. However, it is also important to remember that the interview process is not just about knowledge, but also about your passion and potential for research in the field. So, do not let your lack of revision discourage you from attending the remaining interviews and giving your best effort.

Overall, my advice would be to attend the remaining interviews, use this year to strengthen your application, and come back even stronger next year if needed. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a PhD program on my second attempt?

There are a few things you can do to improve your chances of getting accepted into a PhD program on your second attempt. First, make sure to carefully review and address any feedback or concerns from your previous application. Secondly, consider reaching out to potential supervisors or professors in your field of interest to discuss your research interests and potential projects. Additionally, gaining more research experience or taking relevant courses can also strengthen your application.

2. Should I reapply to the same PhD program I was rejected from?

This will ultimately depend on your individual circumstances and the feedback you received from the program. If you received constructive feedback and believe that you have addressed any concerns, then it may be worth reapplying. However, if you did not receive any feedback or the program has a very competitive acceptance rate, it may be beneficial to explore other options.

3. Is it common to be rejected from PhD programs on the first attempt?

Yes, it is not uncommon to be rejected from PhD programs on the first attempt. Many factors can contribute to this, such as a highly competitive applicant pool, limited funding or spots available, or a mismatch between your research interests and the program's focus. It is important to not get discouraged and to continue working towards your goals.

4. What can I do if I am rejected from all the PhD programs I applied to?

If you are rejected from all the PhD programs you applied to, it may be helpful to re-evaluate your research interests and goals. Consider reaching out to potential supervisors or professors to discuss your research interests and see if they have any openings in their lab or program. Additionally, gaining more research experience or taking relevant courses can also strengthen your application for future attempts.

5. Are there any alternative paths to pursuing a PhD if I am rejected from programs?

Yes, there are alternative paths to pursuing a PhD if you are rejected from programs. Some options include applying to programs in different countries or exploring non-traditional PhD programs such as professional doctorates or joint-degree programs. You can also consider gaining more research experience and strengthening your application for future attempts.