Second highest frequency in a sound pipe

In summary: I completely agree what second highest should mean, but I can’t help point out the screwy confusions of how people actually use language. In the common vernacular people will sometimes say “second highest” when they mean “second in height”, so the “third highest rung on the ladder” is understood to be counted from the bottom. Very poor choice for a physics problem, but not unusual for English.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
Speed = frequency x wavelength
So here is my question

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 16.57.48.png

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 16.57.52.png

Have tried it and got these as my answers

IMG_4089.JPG

Have I done part b) correctly over here to find the 2nd highest frequency?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolter said:
Homework Statement:: See below
Relevant Equations:: Speed = frequency x wavelength

So here is my question

View attachment 258637
View attachment 258638
Have tried it and got these as my answers

View attachment 258639

Have I done part b) correctly over here to find the 2nd highest frequency?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
You were doing fine as far as 3c/(4L), but I don't understand the numbers you plugged in for c and L.

By the way, what you have (almost) calculated is the second lowest frequency, which is what the question should have asked for. There is no highest frequency.

haruspex said:
You were doing fine as far as 3c/(4L), but I don't understand the numbers you plugged in for c and L.

By the way, what you have (almost) calculated is the second lowest frequency, which is what the question should have asked for. There is no highest frequency.

Ah yes I see why the question should’ve meant second lowest frequency and not second highest

For the c and L values I have plugged in, these are just the speed of sound (which is 340 m/s) and length of the sound sound pipe in mm (I converted them back into meters to keep in SI units)

Bolter said:
For the c and L values I have plugged in, these are just the speed of sound (which is 340 m/s) and length of the sound sound pipe in mm (I converted them back into meters to keep in SI units)
Ah, sorry, I misread the question. I was looking at data in the first part.
Your answers are fine.

Likes Bolter
Bolter said:
Ah yes I see why the question should’ve meant second lowest frequency and not second highest

I completely agree what second highest should mean, but I can’t help point out the screwy confusions of how people actually use language. In the common vernacular people will sometimes say “second highest” when they mean “second in height”, so the “third highest rung on the ladder” is understood to be counted from the bottom. Very poor choice for a physics problem, but not unusual for English.

Likes Bolter
Cutter Ketch said:
“second highest” when they mean “second in height”
Hmm... I would use those interchangeably, both meaning second from the top.

What is the second highest frequency in a sound pipe?

The second highest frequency in a sound pipe refers to the second most common vibration or pitch produced by the pipe when air is blown through it.

How is the second highest frequency in a sound pipe determined?

The second highest frequency in a sound pipe is determined by the length, diameter, and material of the pipe, as well as the velocity and temperature of the air passing through it.

Why is the second highest frequency in a sound pipe important?

The second highest frequency in a sound pipe is important because it contributes to the overall sound produced by the pipe. It can also affect the timbre or quality of the sound.

Can the second highest frequency in a sound pipe be changed?

Yes, the second highest frequency in a sound pipe can be changed by altering the length, diameter, or material of the pipe, as well as the velocity or temperature of the air passing through it.

What is the relationship between the second highest frequency in a sound pipe and the fundamental frequency?

The second highest frequency in a sound pipe is typically a multiple of the fundamental frequency. For example, if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the second highest frequency may be 200 Hz, 300 Hz, and so on.