Soda Warming in a Room: How Long Does it Take?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining how long it will take for a can of soda to warm up from a temperature of 50 degrees to 73 degrees in a room with a temperature of 73 degrees. The individual attempts to solve the problem using the conversion of temperature to average heat energy but is unable to do so due to the lack of a formula in their physics book. However, they are able to find the formula on Google and ask if it is safe to assume a closed system.
moonman239

Homework Statement

Suppose a can of soda is sitting out in a room that has a temperature of 73 degrees. The temperature of the soda itself is 50 degrees. How long will it take for the soda to warm up to the temperature of the room?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what I can do is convert temperature to average heat energy. But, I cannot answer the question because the physics book I am reading does not provide the formula. It talks about how the soda can will eventually warm up, but again...no formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. *dope-slap* I found it on Google. Question: Is it safe to assume that we are talking about a closed system?

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. In simpler terms, it means that in any natural process, the overall disorder or randomness of a system will always increase.

How does the Second Law apply to energy?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to energy in the sense that it dictates the direction in which energy will flow. Energy will always flow from a higher concentration to a lower concentration, and the process of energy transfer will result in an increase in overall entropy.

What is the difference between the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The Second Law, on the other hand, deals with the direction and efficiency of energy transfer, and the tendency of systems towards disorder.

How does the Second Law relate to everyday life?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics can be seen in everyday life in various ways. For example, when coffee cools down, heat is transferred from the hot coffee to the surrounding air, resulting in an increase in entropy. Another example is the tendency for a room to become messy over time, as objects become more disordered. Essentially, the Second Law applies to any natural process that involves energy transfer.

Can the Second Law be violated or reversed?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and has never been observed to be violated. While it is possible to decrease entropy in a small, localized system, the overall entropy of the entire system and its surroundings will always increase. This means that the Second Law cannot be reversed or violated.