Second opinion needed at UAV Exercise

In summary, the book says that if the distance is the same, the duration of the drive is 203 more minutes.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

We're driving with a Uav of 80 km/h
The duration Δt is 2 h 45 min
On a rainy day, our Uav' is 65 km/h
If the distance is the same, how much more is the duration of the drive?
So, technically we want the result of Dt = Δt' - Δt

Homework Equations

Uav = Δx / Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

• 1 h -> 60 min => 2 h -> 120 min => Δt = 165 min
  • Uav = 80 km/h = 80/60 km/min
  • Uav' = 65 km/h = 65/60 km/min

• Uav'*Δt' = Uav*Δt <=> 65/60 km/min * Δt' = 80/60 km/min * 165 min <=> Δt' = (80 * 165) / 65 min= 203 min

• Dt = Δt' - Δt = (203 - 165) min = 38 min

I also tried turning km to meters, I tried turning 2 h 45 min to 2,75 h, everything. But I still get the same result, every time.

Okay, so, as it's evident it's a simple exercise. The problem is, I've run it 5 times or so, but I get a different result from the book's (no complete solution there, just the end result). The book says that we spent 43 min extra on the road.

Personally speaking, on most occasions (sometimes I approach it with h, and others with min) I get 38 min extra. So, yeah, am I missing something, or does the book have a typo?

PS: It's exercise 2.3 of Hugh D. Young's University Physics, Vol 1

PS2: If anyone has this book, is there any reason why it has the answers only for the odd number exercises?

PS3: If it's of any importance, the book has been translated into Greek from English. You can see from my use of the formulas/equations that I'm still a little wonky on how to accurately write them in their correct form, but University has started for about a month, and the teachers move so fast (in one month, out of the 12 sections, the Physics teacher has already passed the 8th one, so, yeah...) that I'm stuck on my own. Every bit of help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I tend to look at this things in simple ways. (Simple methods for simple minds.) Can't you just calculate the distance traveled in case 1 and work from there? Edit: For this problem, it looks like it would be easiest to leave the units in km/hr. Then once you get an answer in hours, it may make more sense to convert to minutes.

Giving answers to odd-numbered exercises is fairly common. Professors sometimes want to be able to assign problems that DO NOT have the answers.

Edit2: But now that I worked the problem, I got the same answer: 38 minutes.

Edit3: Foiled again. Billy_joule beat me to the punch. :)

Likes Const@ntine
I agree with your answer. Errors in textbook answers are more common than they should be.

Likes Const@ntine and TomHart
TomHart said:
I tend to look at this things in simple ways. (Simple methods for simple minds.) Can't you just calculate the distance traveled in case 1 and work from there? Edit: For this problem, it looks like it would be easiest to leave the units in km/hr. Then once you get an answer in hours, it may make more sense to convert to minutes.

Giving answers to odd-numbered exercises is fairly common. Professors sometimes want to be able to assign problems that DO NOT have the answers.

I still get the same result:

Δx = Uav*Δt = 80/60 km/min * 165 min = 220 km

Δt' = Δx/Uav' = (220 km) / (65/60 km/min) = 203 min

Dt = Δt' - Δt = (203 - 165) min = 38 min

As for the answers, I get the why, but dunno, I feel it'd been more helpful to have the answers for all of them. Or at least include a few more examples.

billy_joule said:
I agree with your answer. Errors in textbook answers are more common than they should be.

Whew, well, that's a relief. Thanks a ton (both for the answer and the link to Wolffram, I had heard about it, but I never got around to using it, since I eventually forgot about it).

1. What is a "Second opinion needed at UAV Exercise"?

A "Second opinion needed at UAV Exercise" refers to a request for another expert or professional opinion on a specific topic related to the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), also known as drones, in a training or exercise setting. This could be for a variety of reasons, such as seeking additional expertise, confirming a decision, or resolving a disagreement.

2. Why is a second opinion needed for UAV Exercise?

A second opinion may be needed for UAV Exercise to ensure that all factors and perspectives are taken into account. As UAV technology and applications are constantly evolving, it is important to seek different opinions to stay updated and make informed decisions. Additionally, a second opinion can help to validate or challenge assumptions and improve the overall effectiveness of the exercise.

3. Who can provide a second opinion for UAV Exercise?

A second opinion for UAV Exercise can be provided by any qualified individual or organization with relevant expertise in the field of UAVs. Examples could include other scientists, engineers, pilots, or military personnel with experience in UAV operations. It is important to seek a second opinion from a reputable source to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information provided.

4. When should a second opinion be sought for UAV Exercise?

A second opinion should be sought for UAV Exercise whenever there is uncertainty or disagreement regarding a decision or course of action related to the use of UAVs. This could be during the planning stage of an exercise, or during the actual execution of the exercise. Seeking a second opinion early on can help to prevent potential issues or conflicts later on.

5. How can a second opinion improve UAV Exercise?

A second opinion can improve UAV Exercise by providing a fresh perspective and identifying potential areas for improvement. It can also help to validate decisions and ensure that all necessary considerations have been taken into account. Additionally, a second opinion can help to foster a collaborative and inclusive approach to UAV operations, leading to more effective and successful exercises.