1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order differential equation question

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify that [itex]y_1=x^3[/itex] and [itex]y_2=|x|^3[/itex] are linearly independent
    solutions of the differential equation [itex]x^2y''-4xy'+6y=0 [/itex] on the interval
    [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex]. Show that [itex]W(y_1,y_2)=0[/itex] for every real number
    x, where W is the wronskian.

2. Relevant equations
    theorems on differential equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First I need to check that y1 and y2 are the solutions of the
    given diff. equation. y1 is easy. To prove that y2 is the solution,
    I divided the whole interval [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex], in three parts [itex]x>0\; ,x=0\;,\;x>0[/itex]. And then I showed that the diff. equation is satisfied on all the different
    parts. So that means , y2 is the solution of the diff. equation

Now, to check the linear independence, lets consider the equation
    [tex]c_1 x^3+c_2 |x|^3=0[/tex]

Now here I am stuck. How do I prove that [itex]c_1=c_2=0[/itex] for all values of x in
    [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex].

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick a couple of particular values of x. How about x=1 and x=(-1)?

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    Ok, if I plug those values of x, I get [itex]c_1+c_2=0[/itex]. But this just means that
    c1 can be expressed in terms of c2...

Edit: Oh mistake.. another equation is [itex]-c_1 +c_2 = 0[/itex] which gives me
    [itex]c_1=0\;\;, c_2=0[/itex] . so [itex]y_1\;,y_2[/itex] are linearly independent.

Now for the remaining part, I have to show that [itex]W(y_1,y_2)=0[/itex] for every real
    number. So should I split the interval in 3 parts, since[itex]|x|^3[/itex] is not differentiable on [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex].

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. May 1, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's true that ##|x|## isn't differentiable at ##x=0##. But you are asserting ##|x|^3## isn't. Are you sure about that? Have you graphed it? Have you checked its right and left hand derivatives?

6. May 2, 2012 #5
    Ok I see that [itex]|x|^3[/itex] is differentiable on [itex](-\infty,\infty) [/itex]. But [itex] y_2 '[/itex] is a piecewise function now. So can wronskian be evaluated on different parts of the
    interval [itex](-\infty,\infty) [/itex] ? The examples I have seen with the wronskian don't involve piecewise functions.

7. May 2, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just evaluate the wronskian on each piece. Being piecewise defined doesn't really change things.

8. May 2, 2012 #7
    Ok thats what I thought. So its valid to evaluate wronskian on different parts of the interval. Can you give the link to such examples.... my book on diff. equations (dennis g zill) doesn't have any ...

9. May 2, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you'd need one. Just try it. If x>=0, y2=x^3 and if x<=0, y2=(-x^3). Just split it up like that.

10. May 2, 2012 #9
    By writing |x| as √(x2) and using the chain rule, you can show that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}|x| = \frac{|x|}{x} = \frac{x}{|x|}[/itex] without having to split it up into different cases. Then you can easily show that the Wronskian of x3 and |x|3, after some rewriting, is equal to 0.

11. May 2, 2012 #10
    Bohrok, if we write derivative like that, should not we worry about the case when x=0 . That where things get ugly..

12. May 2, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's nothing ugly about x=0 in the original problem. I don't think Bohrok's hint really simplifies it. Just do it directly.

13. May 3, 2012 #12
    thanks..... Dick..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook