1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Order Differential Initial Value Problem

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y''+4y'+6y
    y(0) = 2; y'(0) = 4

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\alpha ± β = e^{x\alpha}(cosβx + sinβx)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Auxilary equation is [itex]r^2+4r+6[/itex], which solves for [itex]-2 ± i[/itex]

I get the general solution:

[itex]e^{-2x}(c[/itex]1[itex]cosx + c[/itex]2[itex]sinx)[/itex]

[itex]y' = -2e^{-2x}(c[/itex]1[itex]cosx + c[/itex]2[itex]sinx) + e^{2x}(c[/itex]2[itex]cosx - c[/itex]1[itex]sinx)[/itex]

[itex]= c[/itex]1[itex](cosx-sinx) + c[/itex]2[itex](cosx+sinx) = 4[/itex]

I also have:

c1 + c2 = 2 from the initial value.

I now have a system of equations, but don't really know how to solve it without using a computer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

No no, the system of equations produces infinitely many solutions, but the initial value given gives a specific solution curve when you solve for the constants.

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    That's what I was thinking, but I just can't think of how to solve for the constants without using a system of equations at the moment. I know how to solve it when [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex], but not sure how to do this.

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You have two equations. You get one from solving the initial value problem for y and one for solving the initial value problem for y'.

They will give you a system of 2 equations in 2 unknowns c1, c2.

Solving for both unknowns will give you the particular equation for y which will satisfy your initial values.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    Oh, I completely overlooked inputting the x values into the equations for some reason. Thanks though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook