1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order low pass filter with unity gain

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to design a second order filter with unity gain.

2. Relevant equations
    None - not taking component values into account for now.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is this a correct method of creating a 2nd order low pass filter with unity gain?
    New Doc 2017-03-19.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2017 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

97838-07182a19b92ad5fea6619308e7f7ca40.jpg

That is one such candidate; not what I'd consider a good representative of such a filter, but it certainly fits.

What is the application you need it for?

4. Mar 19, 2017 #3
    I had to design a two part system with a transimpedance amplifier then a second order low pass filter for a piece of coursework. It's specified that we cannot use a power supply larger than 5v for the opamps though, so I designed the system to take care of all of the gain during the transimpedance stage.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm still getting my head around this a little bit.

5. Mar 19, 2017 #4

NascentOxygen

What you have there is basically a passive two-stage filter, so its Bode plot is not nice and level over any range, it begins drooping right from DC.

6. Mar 19, 2017 #5
    How would I go about changing that?

7. Mar 19, 2017 #6

NascentOxygen

Do you need it to be any different, though?

For flatter responses, google: active filters.

8. Mar 19, 2017 #7
    Probably not, the question wasn't particulary specific, it just asked for a second order low pass filter so that's probably fine. Thank you for your help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted