Second order partial derivatives and the chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of taking a second partial derivative and the use of the product and chain rules. The individual is struggling with understanding the process and seeks clarification on the steps involved. Ultimately, they are able to understand with the help of someone explaining a single line of math.
Chantry

Homework Statement

http://www.math.wvu.edu/~hjlai/Teaching/Tip-Pdf/Tip3-27.pdf
Example 7.

Not this question in particular, but it shows what I'm talking about.

I understand how they get the first partial derivative, but I'm completely lost as how to take a second one.

I have tried using the product rule in combination with the chain rule and I never get anywhere near the correct result. I have a feeling this is going to be on my calculus exam, so I want to make sure I understand it properly.

I've been looking at this for hours and can't wrap my head around. Could someone maybe explain step by step how to go from d/dr (dw/dr) to the result they got dor d2w/dr2? (I realize these are equivalent).

Homework Equations

Basically filled this out above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically filled this out above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let

[tex]g(x,y)=w_x\cos\theta + w_y\sin\theta[/tex]

Now calculate

[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial r} = \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/tex]

keeping in mind θ is being held constant.

Thank you!

It's funny how just one line of math made me finally understand it.

1. What is a second order partial derivative?

A second order partial derivative is the derivative of a function with respect to two different variables, holding all other variables constant. It measures the rate of change of the slope of a function, or how the slope changes as you move in different directions.

2. How do you calculate second order partial derivatives?

To calculate a second order partial derivative, you first take the partial derivative of the function with respect to one variable, and then take the partial derivative of that result with respect to the other variable. This can be represented as ∂²f/∂x∂y.

3. What is the chain rule in the context of second order partial derivatives?

The chain rule in the context of second order partial derivatives states that when taking the derivative of a composite function, you must multiply the individual derivatives of each function in the chain. This allows you to find the second order partial derivative of a function with respect to a variable that is dependent on other variables.

4. How is the chain rule applied to second order partial derivatives?

To apply the chain rule to second order partial derivatives, you first take the first order partial derivatives of each function in the chain. Then, you use these derivatives to calculate the second order partial derivatives of the composite function by multiplying them together.

5. Why are second order partial derivatives important in science?

Second order partial derivatives are important in science because they allow us to analyze the behavior of multi-variable functions and better understand how changes in one variable can affect the overall function. They are also used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and predict complex systems.