Solving d^2x/dt^2 + a/x = b: Approximations?

• Thread starter gabi.petrica
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving an equation with constant a and b. The possibility of solving it without making approximations is uncertain, and the method of multiplying by x' and integrating is suggested. The final result is a function of t in terms of x.
gabi.petrica
I was trying to solve a physics problem which led me to an equation of the form:
d^2x/dt^2 + a/ x = b; Can this be solved without any aproximations beeing made?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends.

Assuming a,b are constants, multiply by [tex]x^{\prime}[/tex], to get

[tex]x^{\prime} x^{\prime \prime} + a \frac{x^{\prime}}{x} = b x^{\prime}[/tex]

now integrate to get

[tex]\frac{x^{\prime}^2}{2} + a \ln{x} = bx + c [/tex]

(c is a constant). Rearrange to get t as a function of x, i.e.,

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \int{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{bx + c - a \ln{x}}}} = t + const.[/tex]

Other than that, I'm not sure.

What is the equation d^2x/dt^2 + a/x = b used for?

The equation d^2x/dt^2 + a/x = b is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the motion of a particle or system undergoing a force or acceleration that is dependent on its position.

What does the variable "a" represent in the equation?

The variable "a" represents the coefficient of the inverse square term, which reflects how the force or acceleration changes with respect to the distance from a reference point. It is often referred to as the "spring constant" in systems such as springs or pendulums.

How is the equation solved?

The equation can be solved by using numerical methods or by approximating the solution using a series expansion. This involves breaking the equation into smaller, more manageable parts and finding a solution for each part. These solutions are then combined to form an overall approximation of the solution to the original equation.

What is the purpose of using approximations in solving this equation?

In many cases, the equation d^2x/dt^2 + a/x = b cannot be solved analytically (i.e. with a closed-form solution). Therefore, using approximations allows us to still obtain a useful and accurate solution without having to rely on complex mathematical techniques.

What are some common applications of this equation?

This equation has a wide range of applications, including modeling the motion of a pendulum, the oscillations of a spring, the dynamics of a planetary orbit, and the behavior of electrical circuits. It is also used in fields such as economics and biology to model systems with changing variables.