Critical Point at (0,0) with f(x,y)=9x4-6x2y2+y4 and f(x,y)=(y-x2)(y-x4)

In summary, for question (1), the second partial test fails at the critical point (0,0) for the function f(x,y) = 9x^4 - 6x^2y^2 + y^4. However, if we set y = 0, we see that fx has a critical point at x = 0 and fxx has an inflection point at x = 0. This means that (0,0) acts as an inflection point along the x-axis and is a minimum point for the function. For question (2), the second partial test also fails at the critical point (0,0) for the function f(x,y) = (y - x^2)(
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1. What happens to D = fxxfyy - (fxy)2 at (0,0) for f(x,y) = 9x4 - 6x2y2 + y4? Classify the critical point at (0,0).

2. How about if f(x,y) = (y - x2)(y - x4) ?

Homework Equations

See above ^.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Okay, so after taking all the partial derivatives and computing D, we get that D = 0 at (0,0) so that the second partial test fails.

So we have to consider some other method to see what happens at the origin.

Suppose we set y=0, so that f(x,0) = 9x4. Then fx(x,0) = 36x3.

Now if x < 0, fx < 0 and if x > 0, fx > 0. So it is clear that (0,0) acts like an inflection point along the x-axis and we can conclude that (0,0) is a minimum?

I'm not sure about my logic here since it's my first time trying one of these. Anyone have any pointers?
2. Same process as before, I take all my derivatives and compute D to get D = 0 so that at (0,0) my test fails.

Again I'll suppose that y = 0, so that f(x,0) = x6 and fx(x,0) = 6x5.

Now if x < 0, fx < 0 and if x > 0, fx > 0. So it is clear that (0,0) acts like an inflection point along the x-axis once again and we can conclude that (0,0) is a minimum?
I'm hoping my reasoning is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I read this article on the extremum test : http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExtremumTest.html

So for question (1), the first three partials of x are all equal to zero at (0,0) as are the first three partials of y. The fourth partials of both though are both non zero at (0,0) so I have that :

n+1 = 4 which means n = 3 which is odd.

So we have n is odd and the fourth partials of x and y are both greater than zero so that (0,0) is a minimum.

Would this be more appropriate than what I did above?

Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

1. What happens to D = fxxfyy - (fxy)2 at (0,0) for f(x,y) = 9x4 - 6x2y2 + y4? Classify the critical point at (0,0).

Homework Equations

See above ^.

1. Okay, so after taking all the partial derivatives and computing D, we get that D = 0 at (0,0) so that the second partial test fails.

Now if x < 0, fx < 0 and if x > 0, fx > 0. So it is clear that (0,0) acts like an inflection point along the x-axis and we can conclude that (0,0) is a minimum?

I'm not sure about my logic here since it's my first time trying one of these. Anyone have any pointers?
2. Same process as before, I take all my derivatives and compute D to get D = 0 so that at (0,0) my test fails.

Now if x < 0, fx < 0 and if x > 0, fx > 0. So it is clear that (0,0) acts like an inflection point along the x-axis once again and we can conclude that (0,0) is a minimum?

Those don't sound like descriptions of inflection points. In both cases the curve y=0 has a minimum at y=0. For 2, can you think of a curve which has negative values near (0,0)? For 1, try 'completing the square' in y or factoring and thinking some more about it.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

See above ^.

The functions f1 (question 1) and f2 (question 2) behave very differently. For f2 the point (0,0) is neither a max nor a min; that is, in any two-dimensional neighbourhood of (0,0) there are points giving f2(x,y) > f2(0,0) and other points (x,y) giving f2(x,y) < f2(0,0).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
The functions f1 (question 1) and f2 (question 2) behave very differently. For f2 the point (0,0) is neither a max nor a min; that is, in any two-dimensional neighbourhood of (0,0) there are points giving f2(x,y) > f2(0,0) and other points (x,y) giving f2(x,y) < f2(0,0).

RGV

Ahhh I see what you're getting at. So I'll formalize these thoughts a bit here.

For (1), the test fails so we turn to other methods.

If we set y = 0, then fx has a critical point at 0 and fxx has an inflection point at 0. If x < 0, then fx < 0 and fxx < 0. If x > 0, fx > 0 and fxx > 0. So for y=0, the point (0,0) acts like an inflection point along the x-axis and we can clearly see that (0,0) is a min for f ( Same process for (0,y) and the same result ).

Now for (2), the test fails again so we turn to other methods.

Now, for any neighborhood around (0,0), [itex]\exists Q, P \in N_δ((0,0)) | f(Q) > f(0,0) \wedge f(P) < f(0,0)[/itex].

So for example, take any x>1 and y>x4 as to make f(Q) > f(0,0). Take any x > 1 and x2 < y < x4 ( Say y = x3 ) as to make f(P) < f(0,0). Thus f has a saddle point at (0,0) and we are done.

I never considered that I could argue using neighborhoods around the point. Very informative.

Zondrina said:

If we set y = 0, then fx has a critical point at 0 and fxx has an inflection point at 0. If x < 0, then fx < 0 and fxx < 0. If x > 0, fx > 0 and fxx > 0. So for y=0, the point (0,0) acts like an inflection point along the x-axis and we can clearly see that (0,0) is a min for f ( Same process for (0,y) and the same result ).

Now, for any neighborhood around (0,0), [itex]\exists Q, P \in N_δ((0,0)) | f(Q) > f(0,0) \wedge f(P) < f(0,0)[/itex].

So for example, take any x>1 and y>x4 as to make f(Q) > f(0,0). Take any x > 1 and x2 < y < x4 ( Say y = x3 ) as to make f(P) < f(0,0). Thus f has a saddle point at (0,0) and we are done.

I never considered that I could argue using neighborhoods around the point. Very informative.

y=x^3 is a good choice for the second one. For the first one showing it's a minimum along x=0 and y=0 does not suffice to show it's a minimum. The second one satisfies that as well. Write the first one as an expression involving squares.

Zondrina said:

Now, for any neighborhood around (0,0), [itex]\exists Q, P \in N_δ((0,0)) | f(Q) > f(0,0), ^ f(P) < f(0,0)[/itex].

Your analysis of (1) is incorrect. When y = 0 you have f1 = 9x^4, and this has a global min at x = 0---just look at the graph of x^4. It is true that f1' = 0 and f1'' = 0 at x = 0, but that does not mean that you have a saddle point.

Similarly, when x = 0 you have f1 = y^4, which is minimized at y = 0.

That takes care of the two axes. However, you have a 2-dimensional problem, so you need to worry about points off the two axes as well.

Personally, if I were doing it I would first write X = x^2 and Y = y^2, to get f1 = 9X^2 - 6XY + Y^2, which is much easier to work with. If you stare at it for a while you may see something rather nice happening.

RGV

Zondrina said:

Now, for any neighborhood around (0,0), [itex]\exists Q, P \in N_δ((0,0)) | f(Q) > f(0,0), ^ f(P) < f(0,0)[/itex].

Your analysis of (1) is incorrect. When y = 0 you have f1 = 9x^4, and this has a global min at x = 0---just look at the graph of x^4. It is true that f1' = 0 and f1'' = 0 at x = 0, but that does not mean that you have a saddle point.

Similarly, when x = 0 you have f1 = y^4, which is minimized at y = 0.

That takes care of the two axes. However, you have a 2-dimensional problem, so you need to worry about points off the two axes as well.

Personally, if I were doing it I would first write X = x^2 and Y = y^2, to get f1 = 9X^2 - 6XY + Y^2, which is much easier to work with. If you stare at it for a while you may see something rather nice happening.

The function f2 of question 2 has the interesting, but counter-intuitive property, that if you go away from (0,0) in any direction, the function goes up strictly (that is, for *any* direction p = (p_x,p_y) in R^2 we have f(t*p) > f(0,0) for small scalar t > 0); nevertheless, (0,0) is NOT a local minimum! Don't worry if you don't "see it"; I saw a similar example a few years ago in an optimization seminar. Later, after you have done with this exercise I can reveal the secret.

RGV

Okay so at least (2) looks good :). I'm still a bit shaky as to why the argument implies that there is a saddle point though.

For (1) I'm pretty sure I could re-write it as (y2-3x2)2, but I'm terrible at completing squares ( A skill I never mastered ).

EDIT : Oh wait, let me try your trick by subbing in for x^2 and y^2 first.

Zondrina said:
Okay so at least (2) looks good :). I'm still a bit shaky as to why the argument implies that there is a saddle point though.

For (1) I'm pretty sure I could re-write it as (y2-3x2)2, but I'm terrible at completing squares ( A skill I never mastered ).

In this case just factoring will do it. You did that. Now classify the critical point.

Dick said:
In this case just factoring will do it. You did that. Now classify the critical point.

EDIT : That was a dumb idea I had since applying the test would give the same result.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
Do I simply take the derivatives and apply the test again?

Using the factored form allows you to avoid derivatives completely. Squares are always ≥ 0, and if you can get a value of 0 that must be a minimum---end of story.

RGV

Zondrina said:
Do I simply take the derivatives and apply the test again?

No, knowing the function can expressed as (y^2-3x^2)^2 tells everything you need to know about how it behaves near the origin. For one thing, it's always nonnegative, yes?

Ray Vickson said:
Using the factored form allows you to avoid derivatives completely. Squares are always ≥ 0, and if you can get a value of 0 that must be a minimum---end of story.

RGV

Oh! I see. So (y2-3x2)2 ≥ 0 no matter what. So the point (0,0) gives us 0 so that (0,0) gives a min.

So taking a wild crack at this, if in theory I got a scenario where f ≤ 0 rather than f ≥ 0, it would be a maximum instead? If f = 0 it would be a saddle?

The function, [itex]\displaystyle f(x,\,y)=9x^4 - 6x^2y^2 + y^4\,,\ [/itex] is an interesting function in that the minimum at (0, 0) is not an isolated minimum.

Zondrina said:
Oh! I see. So (y2-3x2)2 ≥ 0 no matter what. So the point (0,0) gives us 0 so that (0,0) gives a min.

So taking a wild crack at this, if in theory I got a scenario where f ≤ 0 rather than f ≥ 0, it would be a maximum instead? If f = 0 it would be a saddle?

If f(x,y)<=0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) would be a local max. Right? I'm not sure what you mean by f=0 and why that would be a saddle. Suggest you rethink the question.

Dick said:
If f(x,y)<=0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) would be a local max. Right? I'm not sure what you mean by f=0 and why that would be a saddle. Suggest you rethink the question.

Yes that's what I was trying to say, but failed ^

So

f(x,y)<=0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) max
f(x,y)>=0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) min
f(x,y) = 0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) is a saddle?

EDIT : Or can I not determine a saddle in this manner.

Zondrina said:
Yes that's what I was trying to say, but failed ^

So

f(x,y)<=0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) max
f(x,y)>=0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) min
f(x,y) = 0 and f(0,0)=0 then (0,0) is a saddle?

EDIT : Or can I not determine a saddle in this manner.

Think about your second example. It's a saddle. What do you know about values of f(x,y) near the origin?

Okay.. slowing down a few notches here. Looking back at my argument for part (2), a saddle occurs when no matter what neighborhood I take around my origin, there will be points Q and P where f(Q) > f(0,0) and f(P) < f(0,0). So f = 0 means nothing to me without considering neighborhoods!

Zondrina said:
Okay.. slowing down a few notches here. Looking back at my argument for part (2), a saddle occurs when no matter what neighborhood I take around my origin, there will be points Q and P where f(Q) > f(0,0) and f(P) < f(0,0). So f = 0 means nothing to me without considering neighborhoods!

That's pretty much it. You might want to look up the definition of saddle point to clarify it further.

Dick said:
That's pretty much it. You might want to look up the definition of saddle point to clarify it further.

Thanks a bundle for your help. Yeah I'm going to go review a few definitions now and write out a few study notes revolving around this.

Thanks again.

1. What is the critical point at (0,0)?

The critical point at (0,0) is the point where the partial derivatives of the function f(x,y) are equal to 0. In other words, it is the point where the function's slope is flat in all directions.

2. How is the critical point determined for a given function?

The critical point is determined by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and setting them equal to 0. Then, solving the resulting system of equations for the values of x and y that make all of the partial derivatives equal to 0.

3. What is the significance of the critical point in this function?

The critical point is significant because it is a stationary point on the function's graph. This means that at the critical point, the function has a horizontal tangent line and the slope of the function in all directions is 0.

4. How is the critical point related to the function's extrema?

The critical point is related to the function's extrema because it is the point where the function can have a maximum, minimum, or saddle point. To determine which type of extremum exists at the critical point, we can use the second derivative test or the Hessian matrix.

5. How can we use the critical point to analyze the behavior of the function?

The critical point can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. For example, the critical point can help us determine the function's concavity, its increasing and decreasing intervals, and its inflection points. Additionally, the critical point can also be used to optimize the function for a given set of constraints.