Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second warning dispute

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    I was given a warning for hijacking thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4306454#post4306454 and would like to dispute it publicly.

The Forums Global Guidelines says:
    "Do not hijack an existing thread with off-topic comments or questions--start a new thread."

First of all, my additions to this thread were not off-topic. I offered a more detailed question about the differences between magnetic and electric fields, just as the title says. Since the thread had been abandoned for more than a week, and because everyone was criticising the OP for not giving a more specific question (something HE was given a warning for) I see no grounds for calling my addition "hijacking".

I also did not get any acknowledgment on my complaint about Naty1, who called my post "ridiculous" without offering any useful thoughts. I come here for help and discussion, not empty or hurtful insults, which are also against Global Guidelines.

I already did internet research on my first question before coming here. I learned that there is a lot about magnets at the atomic level that isn't known yet. Maybe my third question was easy to find elsewhere, but I think the other two are perfectly legitimate -- NOT hijacking -- and condusive to an ultimately good discussion.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2
    Hoku, your first post was asking three new questions. Please make new threads for these questions. Thanks.

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    Also, please contact the relevant mentor. If you still disagree after you contacted him, then you can always contact other mentors for a second opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook