Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second warning dispute

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    I was given a warning for hijacking thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4306454#post4306454 and would like to dispute it publicly.

The Forums Global Guidelines says:
    "Do not hijack an existing thread with off-topic comments or questions--start a new thread."

First of all, my additions to this thread were not off-topic. I offered a more detailed question about the differences between magnetic and electric fields, just as the title says. Since the thread had been abandoned for more than a week, and because everyone was criticising the OP for not giving a more specific question (something HE was given a warning for) I see no grounds for calling my addition "hijacking".

I also did not get any acknowledgment on my complaint about Naty1, who called my post "ridiculous" without offering any useful thoughts. I come here for help and discussion, not empty or hurtful insults, which are also against Global Guidelines.

I already did internet research on my first question before coming here. I learned that there is a lot about magnets at the atomic level that isn't known yet. Maybe my third question was easy to find elsewhere, but I think the other two are perfectly legitimate -- NOT hijacking -- and condusive to an ultimately good discussion.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2
    Hoku, your first post was asking three new questions. Please make new threads for these questions. Thanks.

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Also, please contact the relevant mentor. If you still disagree after you contacted him, then you can always contact other mentors for a second opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook