Dispute Second Warning for Hijacking Thread on PhysicsForums

• Thread starter Hoku
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a warning that was given for hijacking a thread on a forum. The individual disputes the warning and argues that their additions were not off-topic. They also express frustration at not receiving acknowledgement for a complaint about another member's insulting comment. The individual clarifies that they had done research before asking their questions and believes they were legitimate and not hijacking. The conversation concludes with a reminder to start new threads for new questions and to contact a mentor for further clarification.
Hoku
I was given a warning for hijacking thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4306454#post4306454 and would like to dispute it publicly.

The Forums Global Guidelines says:
"Do not hijack an existing thread with off-topic comments or questions--start a new thread."

First of all, my additions to this thread were not off-topic. I offered a more detailed question about the differences between magnetic and electric fields, just as the title says. Since the thread had been abandoned for more than a week, and because everyone was criticising the OP for not giving a more specific question (something HE was given a warning for) I see no grounds for calling my addition "hijacking".

I also did not get any acknowledgment on my complaint about Naty1, who called my post "ridiculous" without offering any useful thoughts. I come here for help and discussion, not empty or hurtful insults, which are also against Global Guidelines.

I already did internet research on my first question before coming here. I learned that there is a lot about magnets at the atomic level that isn't known yet. Maybe my third question was easy to find elsewhere, but I think the other two are perfectly legitimate -- NOT hijacking -- and condusive to an ultimately good discussion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hoku, your first post was asking three new questions. Please make new threads for these questions. Thanks.

Also, please contact the relevant mentor. If you still disagree after you contacted him, then you can always contact other mentors for a second opinion.

1. What is considered a "hijacking thread" on PhysicsForums?

A hijacking thread on PhysicsForums is when a user intentionally takes a discussion off-topic or redirects it towards a personal agenda, disrupting the flow and purpose of the original discussion.

2. How does PhysicsForums handle instances of thread hijacking?

If a user is found to have hijacked a thread, they will receive a second warning from the moderators. This serves as a reminder to stay on topic and contribute to productive discussions on the forum.

3. Is it possible to appeal a second warning for hijacking a thread?

Yes, if a user believes they have been unfairly given a second warning for hijacking a thread, they can appeal to the moderators by providing evidence or explanations for their actions. The moderators will then review the case and make a decision.

4. Are there any consequences for receiving multiple warnings for hijacking threads on PhysicsForums?

If a user continues to hijack threads after receiving a second warning, they may face further consequences such as temporary or permanent bans from the forum. These measures are taken to maintain the quality and integrity of discussions on PhysicsForums.

5. How can I avoid receiving a warning for hijacking threads on PhysicsForums?

To avoid receiving a warning for hijacking threads, it is important to stay on topic and contribute to discussions in a respectful and productive manner. If you have a different perspective or point to make, start a new thread or join an existing one that is relevant to your topic.