Explaining the Solution for secx=4 in Calculator Format (Ti-89) for Range 0-2pi

• Thread starter HANNONKEVINP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses using a TI-89 calculator to solve the equation secx=4 for the range of 0 to 2pi. The calculator provides an answer with a weird notation at the end of 2pi, indicating that there is more than one solution. This notation is used to indicate multiple solutions and is especially helpful when working with trigonometric functions.
HANNONKEVINP

Homework Statement

I was supposed to use my calculator to get the answer of secx=4 for the range 0 to 2pi. I use the Ti-89.

Homework Equations

calculator format solve (secx=4,x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get an answer, but it has a weird notation at the end of 2pi.

2pi(weird notation)1 +/- arccos (1/4) In radians, obviously

The notation looks like a lower case e, but instead, it breaks about halfway under the top loop. Sorry, for my vague info. I can't take a picture of it because i don't half no camera

Physics news on Phys.org
The TI-89 has the weird symbol to let you know their are more than 1 solution. Take f(x)=cos(x) for example. If you input it into the 89 for where f(x) = 0 you should right away know that f(x) will cross 0 in more than 1 place. The 89 will give you something like (pi/2)(weird symbol). But you know right away from the graph (if you know what it looks like) that it does not only cross at pi/2 but at every half wavelength starting at pi/2 (if your talking of only the positive side).

Jonathan G said:
The TI-89 has the weird symbol to let you know their are more than 1 solution. Take f(x)=cos(x) for example. If you input it into the 89 for where f(x) = 0 you should right away know that f(x) will cross 0 in more than 1 place. The 89 will give you something like (pi/2)(weird symbol). But you know right away from the graph (if you know what it looks like) that it does not only cross at pi/2 but at every half wavelength starting at pi/2 (if your talking of only the positive side).
Alright, thank you.

1. How do I solve secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator?

To solve secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator, follow these steps:

1. Press the "Mode" button and select "Radians" mode.
  2. Press the "2nd" button and then the "Trig" button to access the inverse trig functions.
  3. Select the "sec" function.
  4. Type in "4" and press "Enter".
  5. Press the "2nd" button and then the "Enter" button to get the second solution.

This will give you the solutions for x in the range 0-2π.

2. What does secx=4 mean?

Secx=4 means that the secant of angle x is equal to 4. The secant function is the reciprocal of the cosine function, so this equation can also be written as 1/cosx=4.

3. How do I input secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator?

To input secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator, follow these steps:

1. Press the "2nd" button and then the "Trig" button to access the inverse trig functions.
  2. Select the "sec" function.
  3. Type in "4" and press "Enter".
  4. The calculator will display the solutions for x in the range 0-2π.

4. Can I use degrees instead of radians to solve secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator?

Yes, you can change the mode of the calculator to degrees and solve secx=4. However, the solutions will be in degrees as well, so you will need to convert them to radians if the given range is in radians.

5. How do I interpret the solutions for secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator?

The solutions for secx=4 on a Ti-89 calculator will be displayed as x = nπ ± arccos(1/4), where n is an integer. This means that there are infinite solutions for x, as the cosine function has a period of 2π. You can use the solutions given by the calculator to find other solutions by adding or subtracting 2π from the solutions as needed.