1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secx=4, help explain

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was supposed to use my calculator to get the answer of secx=4 for the range 0 to 2pi. I use the Ti-89.

2. Relevant equations

calculator format solve (secx=4,x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I get an answer, but it has a weird notation at the end of 2pi.

2pi(weird notation)1 +/- arccos (1/4) In radians, obviously

The notation looks like a lower case e, but instead, it breaks about halfway under the top loop. Sorry, for my vague info. I can't take a picture of it because i don't half no camera

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    The TI-89 has the weird symbol to let you know their are more than 1 solution. Take f(x)=cos(x) for example. If you input it into the 89 for where f(x) = 0 you should right away know that f(x) will cross 0 in more than 1 place. The 89 will give you something like (pi/2)(weird symbol). But you know right away from the graph (if you know what it looks like) that it does not only cross at pi/2 but at every half wavelength starting at pi/2 (if your talking of only the positive side).

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    Alright, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook