Seeking more information about this intriguing path

In summary, the speaker is considering switching their major from Mechanical Engineering to Electrical Engineering due to a newfound fascination with electricity and its impact on the automotive world. They are concerned about the difficulty of the subject and the potential for regret in the future. They are also curious about the career prospects and characteristics of electrical engineers. They are interested in mechatronics as a specialty that combines ME, EE, and CompSci.
dhong089
Hey guys. I’m new here, so just a little about me so you guys can understand my situation.

I was dead-set on studying Mechanical Engineering in order to study Automotive Engineering in the future… However, I’ve been having second thoughts. I’ve been toying around with the idea in my mind: “Should I study electrical engineering in college?” Because as we all know, the electrical world will most likely over-take the automotive world… eventually.

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to study Electrical Engineering just because it might be the fastest-growing area and it may bring me the bucks. The main reason I make this thread is due to my recent fascination with electricity after finishing my graduation project. I recently finished my project on how electricity impacts the automotive world. I researched and understood some electricity basics and how VERY simple circuits work… and it’s all so cool… like seriously… SO cool... And I’m extremely hungry for knowledge at the moment!

But I simply could not find any websites, or articles, that could really give me a general idea of the world of electrical engineering. I know electrical engineering will be EXTREMELY difficult… and I’m scared that the difficulty of it will destroy my fascination with electricity (according to the students in the E&M Physics class in my school, E&M is difficult as HELL).

This also leads me to my next point. Because I (foolishly) did not take E&M in my 12th grade year, (I only took AP Mechanics Physics) will it hinder me in any way for college, if I take the Electrical Engineering Path? Are there recommendable pre-requisites for me to have upon entering the electrical engineering path? (and just to add, I’ll be going to Drexel. Is the electrical engineering program any good there?)

And another serious thing to consider is this: Is this all just immature “hype?” I guess I fear that I will be bored, or become too scared of the difficulty of electrical engineering… I fear that perhaps in the future, I will regret my choice of entering electrical engineering.

I'm just very confused with myself to be honest. Rather than make a spontaneous decision and switch my major to Electrical Engineering, I want to really understand the background of this world. What kind of students do this stuff? What is the career like? What are the characteristics of other electrical engineers? Is this fun?

PS: If there are similar threads like this, please link them to me! I would love to hear previous insight as well! I'm looking forward to my time in this community and am very excited to get to know you guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
dhong089 said:
Hey guys. I’m new here, so just a little about me so you guys can understand my situation.

I was dead-set on studying Mechanical Engineering in order to study Automotive Engineering in the future… However, I’ve been having second thoughts. I’ve been toying around with the idea in my mind: “Should I study electrical engineering in college?” Because as we all know, the electrical world will most likely over-take the automotive world… eventually.

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to study Electrical Engineering just because it might be the fastest-growing area and it may bring me the bucks. The main reason I make this thread is due to my recent fascination with electricity after finishing my graduation project. I recently finished my project on how electricity impacts the automotive world. I researched and understood some electricity basics and how VERY simple circuits work… and it’s all so cool… like seriously… SO cool... And I’m extremely hungry for knowledge at the moment!

But I simply could not find any websites, or articles, that could really give me a general idea of the world of electrical engineering. I know electrical engineering will be EXTREMELY difficult… and I’m scared that the difficulty of it will destroy my fascination with electricity (according to the students in the E&M Physics class in my school, E&M is difficult as HELL).

This also leads me to my next point. Because I (foolishly) did not take E&M in my 12th grade year, (I only took AP Mechanics Physics) will it hinder me in any way for college, if I take the Electrical Engineering Path? Are there recommendable pre-requisites for me to have upon entering the electrical engineering path? (and just to add, I’ll be going to Drexel. Is the electrical engineering program any good there?)

And another serious thing to consider is this: Is this all just immature “hype?” I guess I fear that I will be bored, or become too scared of the difficulty of electrical engineering… I fear that perhaps in the future, I will regret my choice of entering electrical engineering.

I'm just very confused with myself to be honest. Rather than make a spontaneous decision and switch my major to Electrical Engineering, I want to really understand the background of this world. What kind of students do this stuff? What is the career like? What are the characteristics of other electrical engineers? Is this fun?

PS: If there are similar threads like this, please link them to me! I would love to hear previous insight as well! I'm looking forward to my time in this community and am very excited to get to know you guys!

Basically what you probably really want is called "Mechatronics" which is a new specialty that merges ME, EE and CompSci. All robotics is strictly mechatronics. So is most electric/hybrid/ICE vehicle design these days. As well as most manufacturing automation and aerospace/aircraft fly-by-wire and engine controls. It's a wonderfully interesting and sought after specialty.

You can work mechatronics by focusing mostly ME, mostly EE or mostly CompSci or with double or triple majors. Many schools in the US are starting to have mechatronics programs that streamline the program to cover both ME and EE degrees.

Engineering Physics (EP) is an academic degree, available mainly at the levels of B.Tech, B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. Unlike other engineering degrees (such as aerospace engineering or electrical engineering), EP does not necessarily include a particular branch of science or physics. Instead, EP is meant to provide a more thorough grounding in applied physics of any area chosen by the student (such as optics, nanotechnology, microfabrication, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, control theory, aerodynamics, energy or solid-state physics). This is why in some countries only the B.Sc. part of the degree is called a degree in Engineering Physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_physics"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.

I never heard about Mechatronics, but it sounds like the perfect fit for me. So if my school does not have a specific Mechatronics major, it's possible to double major in Electrical and Mechanical? It sounds extremely difficult haha!

FAQ: Seeking more information about this intriguing path

1. What is the purpose of seeking more information about this intriguing path?

The purpose of seeking more information about this intriguing path is to gain a better understanding of the subject matter and potentially pursue it as a career or further research it.

2. How can I find reliable sources of information about this intriguing path?

You can find reliable sources of information about this intriguing path by conducting thorough research, consulting with experts in the field, and referencing reputable publications and websites.

3. What are some potential challenges or obstacles associated with this intriguing path?

Some potential challenges or obstacles associated with this intriguing path could include limited funding, competitive job market, high education requirements, and potential ethical concerns.

4. What are the potential benefits of pursuing this intriguing path?

The potential benefits of pursuing this intriguing path include personal fulfillment, making a positive impact in the field, potential for career advancement, and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the subject area.

5. What are some recommended steps for further exploration of this intriguing path?

Recommended steps for further exploration of this intriguing path include networking with professionals in the field, gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteering, attending conferences and seminars, and staying up-to-date with current research and developments in the field.