1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seismic reflection question

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is set up by a diagram.

It has:

Layer 1 velocity = 6km/s
    Layer 2 = calculated velocity of 7.58 km.s
    Layer 3 = reflection

The angle of the source in layer 1 is 34 degrees, the angle in layer two is then 52.33 degrees
    The source then reflects off of layer 3.

Question: Do these reflections tell you anything about the velocities in layer 3?

2. Relevant equations
    Snells law

3. The attempt at a solution

I am thinking two things:
    1) Either the answer is NO, it does not tell us about the velocity, it only tells us about the composition in that the source does not travel through it, but reflects off of it.
    2) YES it does tell us about the velocity of layer three because it does not go through it, so layer three must be significantly slower.

I am tending to agree more with argument one, any help here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

is there an actual diagram you can post ?
    just struggling to visualise the location of the source relative to the 3 layers and also the orientation of
    the layers to each other

Dave

4. Nov 19, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 8.02.14 AM.png

Thank you :)

5. Nov 19, 2015 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Wouldn't reflection mean that layer 3 is much slower velocity than layer two and so the wave chooses to go through layer 2?

Or is entirely the composition of the layer that dictates it.

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the diagram :smile:

I will be honest with you, its been 20 yrs since I have done any seismic reflection/refraction stuff a way back in my uni days
    an pretty rusty. a lot easier for me to help in your other thread on seismic waves

or consider a 3rd option

Either the answer is NO, it does not tell us about the velocity, it does not tell us about the composition, the source does travel through it, but is dissipated within the layer (3) not reaching any other layer to reflect off. Also the angle of any signal reflected off the L2/L3 boundary is not picked up by the receiver ( when dealing with the angles specified)

have a read of this link --- it may well help and it will also give me a refresher course :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_seismology

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted