The weak SU(2) instanton proposed by Belavin Polyakov Schwarz and Tyupkin

In summary, the process described in the Wikipedia article on mass-energy equivalence involves converting protons and neutrons into lighter particles such as antielectrons and neutrinos. This process, known as the weak SU(2) instanton, can in theory convert all the mass of matter into usable energy, but it is normally very slow. However, at extremely high temperatures, this process can occur at a faster rate. While this process violates conservation rules in the Standard Model, it is accepted in the study of baryogenesis. The idea behind this process is similar to a sphaleron, which induces baryon-number non-conservation by tunneling between different vacua. This process is still not well understood and is considered to be on the
csmyth3025
I ran across the following passage in the Wikipedia article on mass-energy equivalence:

Since most of the mass of ordinary objects resides in protons and neutrons, in order to convert all ordinary matter to useful energy, the protons and neutrons must be converted to lighter particles. In the standard model of particle physics, the number of protons plus neutrons is nearly exactly conserved. Still, Gerard 't Hooft showed that there is a process which will convert protons and neutrons to antielectrons and neutrinos. This is the weak SU(2) instanton proposed by Belavin Polyakov Schwarz and Tyupkin. This process, can in principle convert all the mass of matter into neutrinos and usable energy, but it is normally extraordinarily slow. Later it became clear that this process will happen at a fast rate at very high temperatures, since then instanton-like configurations will be copiously produced from thermal fluctuations. The temperature required is so high that it would only have been reached shortly after the big bang.

This level of physics is way over my head, but I'm wondering: "What happens to the quarks that comprise the protons and neutrons?" Are they conserved in the neutrinos and antielectrons?

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL, what? You don't need instantons. Just the weak force will do. The W and Z bosons couple to quarks, leptons, and neutrinos, allowing those three to be interconverted.

Instantons are something else entirely...a useful tool for calculating the path integral of a gauge theory in the saddle point approximation.

Ben Niehoff said:
LOL, what? You don't need instantons. Just the weak force will do. The W and Z bosons couple to quarks, leptons, and neutrinos, allowing those three to be interconverted.

It's not that simple. You cannot annihilate the quarks in protons and neutrons into leptons, since none of them are anti-quarks. The Standard Model conserves total lepton number.

...except for some business to do with chiral anomalies, which is connected back to instantons, which I understand to be indeed important for baryogenesis.

So now my question is:"Is the process described in the Wikipedia article accepted (theoretical) physics?" It seems that it's not well known to kuros and Ben Niehoff (thanks for your replies).

I'm wondering if this process, if it's real, might be one possible fate for matter subjected to the extreme conditions at (or immediately before) the point of a black hole singularity.

Chris

csmyth3025 said:
So now my question is:"Is the process described in the Wikipedia article accepted (theoretical) physics?" It seems that it's not well known to kuros and Ben Niehoff (thanks for your replies).

I believe it is well known to those who study baryogenesis. I am not one of these people, however. What I am saying is that I am inclined to believe wikipedia on this one :p.

And to comment on your initial question ("What happens to the quarks that comprise the protons and neutrons? Are they conserved in the neutrinos and antielectrons?"), no the quarks are certainly not 'conserved' in the lepton products, these are all fundamental particles; leptons cannot 'contain' quarks. So this process indeed violates conservation rules as they are understood in the Standard Model (baryon/lepton number conservation), however these are perturbative rules, that only apply to evaluating Feynman diagrams and the like. Instantons are a non-perturbative phenomenon (so we cannot write down a feynman diagram for this process you are talking about), and so they have some room to violate these perturbative rules, but I don't know any more details than that.

Thanks, Kuros, for your reply. I'm clearly over my head on this so it won't serve any purpose for me to speculate any further. At this point I'll accept that the author of the Wikipedia article knows what he or she is talking about.

If anyone in Physics Forums is familiar with this process I would be interested in a layman's explanation of how it works (if that's possible). At this point it seems that under extreme conditions it has significance in baryogenesis and, possibly, in the reverse process as well.

Chris

I also would like a layman's explanation! It seems like dark magic to me at the moment.

Perhaps this wikipedia page plus references may help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphaleron

The idea behind these sphalerons is that they induce baryon-number non-conservation. Think about a potential V(x) looking like a cosine V(x) = V cos(x); to every minimum you assign a 'quantum number' n counting the minima at xn = nπ (for n = ±1, ±3, ...).

A sphaleron induces something like a tunneling between vacua n → n' = n±2. This n of our simplified model is something like the baryon number.

Dark magic, indeed. From a layman's point of view this process certainly seems to be one of those quantum physics ideas that is "way out there". The description that comes closest to a layman's explanation that I can find is contained in a May, 1993 paper by Glennys R. Farrar and M. E. Shaposhnikov entitled "Baryon Asymmetry of the Universe in the Minimal Standard Model", which can be found here:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9305274v1.pdf

The passage that I think summarizes the essence of the idea is found on page 5.

Once again, I wonder if this process is one possible fate of matter as it approaches a black hole singularity. Like most laymen, it is hard for me to imagine the "stuff" of 3 or 4 suns (let alone 3 or 4 million suns) squashed into a point. Somehow it seems more imaginable if all that stuff is in the form of energetic photons and antineutrinos.

Chris

csmyth3025 said:
... Somehow it seems more imaginable if all that stuff is in the form of energetic photons and antineutrinos...

Chris

The above excerpt from my previous post should have read "...energetic photons and neutrinos...". The energetic photons would be from both the process itself and from the annihilation of the antielectrons produced with the original electrons comprising the matter.

Chris

1. What is the significance of the weak SU(2) instanton proposed by Belavin Polyakov Schwarz and Tyupkin?

The weak SU(2) instanton proposed by Belavin Polyakov Schwarz and Tyupkin is a mathematical solution in the field of theoretical physics that describes the topological structure of gauge fields in a four-dimensional spacetime. It is significant because it provides insight into the behavior of gauge theories and plays a crucial role in understanding the strong force in particle physics.

2. How does the weak SU(2) instanton differ from the strong SU(2) instanton?

The weak SU(2) instanton and the strong SU(2) instanton are both solutions to the Yang-Mills equations, but they differ in their properties. The weak SU(2) instanton is characterized by a lower energy and a larger size compared to the strong SU(2) instanton. Additionally, the weak SU(2) instanton has a non-trivial topological charge, while the strong SU(2) instanton has a trivial topological charge.

3. What is the mathematical formulation of the weak SU(2) instanton?

The weak SU(2) instanton is described by a mathematical expression known as the Belavin-Polyakov-Schwarz-Tyupkin (BPST) instanton. This expression is a saddle point of the Euclidean action for the Yang-Mills theory and is given by a combination of the SU(2) gauge fields and a scalar function. It satisfies the self-dual equations and has a non-trivial topological charge.

4. What are some applications of the weak SU(2) instanton in physics?

The weak SU(2) instanton has been used in various areas of theoretical physics, such as quantum chromodynamics, lattice gauge theory, and string theory. It has also been used to study the dynamics of quark confinement, the properties of the QCD vacuum, and the behavior of gauge fields in curved spacetime. Additionally, the weak SU(2) instanton plays a crucial role in understanding the Higgs mechanism in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Are there any experimental observations that support the existence of the weak SU(2) instanton?

At present, there are no direct experimental observations that confirm the existence of the weak SU(2) instanton. However, the theoretical predictions based on this mathematical solution have been successfully compared to experimental data, providing indirect evidence for its existence. Furthermore, the weak SU(2) instanton has been used to explain various phenomena in particle physics, further supporting its existence.