Self-adjoint matrix, general form

In summary, the general form of a 2x2 complex transformation matrix is a unitary matrix with only two real-valued parameters. This can be achieved by using the Lie algebra of the unitary group U(2) and the Pauli matrices. The matrix can be written as $$M=\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi) \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{\alpha} \cdot \vec{\sigma}/2),$$ where ##\vec{\sigma}## are the three Pauli matrices and ##\vec{\alpha} \in B_{2\pi}(0)##, ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi[##.
Jakub Tesar
Hi,
I am looking for the general form of 2x2 complex transformation matrix.

I have the article, that says "the relative position of a self-adjoint 2x2 matrix B with respect to A as a reference (corresponding to the transformation from the eigenspaces of A to the eigenspaces of B) is determined by two real-valued parameters."

But the general form of self-adjoint matrix is determined by four real-valued parameters (or three if I limit the matrix by the detU=1), isn't it?

I tried to start with the matrix derived from the Bloch vector, but I doubt, that it's the most general case:
upload_2016-1-29_14-44-33.png

I expect I just made a mistake somewhere, but I can't find the right place.
Thank you,
Jakub

Physics news on Phys.org
They're probably talking self-adjoint unitary matrices, which do have just two real degrees of freedom.

Your formula misses the Pauli Z matrix.

Likes Jakub Tesar
Self-adjoint is a mathematical description. A general description is as follows:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics, a Hermitian matrix (or self-adjoint matrix) is a square matrix with complex entries that is equal to its own conjugate transpose—that is, the element in the i-th row and j-th column is equal to the complex conjugate of the element in the j-th row and i-th column, for all indices i and j:

047bf7f688e415bf724ddd891712758c.png
or
eaf2c338093020405a336a2ed8ffaf63.png
, in matrix form.

Likes Jakub Tesar
Sorry, I do not look for self-adjoint matrix, just unitary (wrong title) -- for the general form of transformation between two different bases in the 2x2 Hilbert space.

I was thinking in the same direction Stirlanc, but I wonder how I can add Pauli Z matrix and still have unitary matrix with only 2 real parameters.

Let's see. A general ##\mathbb{C}^{2 \times 2}## matrix,
$$M=\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}$$
has 4 independent complex, i.e., 8 independent real parameters. Now for the matrix to be unitary you must have
$$M^{\dagger} M=\mathbb{1},$$
which implies that both the columns and the rows are two orthonormal vectors. Thus you have the constraints
$$|a|^2+|b|^2=|c|^2+|d|^2=|a|^2+|b|^2=|c|^2+|d|^2=1,$$
i.e., of the 4 moduli of the numbers only 2 are indpendent.
Then you have
$$a^* c + b^* d=a^* b+c^* d=0,$$
which are two more constraints, i.e., of the 8 real parameters only 4 are independent.

Depending on your problem different parametrizations are more or less convenient. One is to use the Lie algebra of the unitary group U(2), leading to
$$M=\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi) \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{\alpha} \cdot \vec{\sigma}/2),$$
where ##\vec{\sigma}## are the three Pauli matrices, and ##\vec{\alpha} \in B_{2\pi}(0)##, ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi[##.

Likes Jakub Tesar

1. What is a self-adjoint matrix?

A self-adjoint matrix is a type of square matrix that is equal to its own transpose. This means that the matrix is symmetric across its main diagonal. In other words, the elements on either side of the main diagonal are reflections of each other, and the elements on the main diagonal remain the same.

2. What is the general form of a self-adjoint matrix?

The general form of a self-adjoint matrix is a square matrix with elements aij where aij = aji, except for the elements on the main diagonal which can have any value. This can be represented as aij = aji for all i, j.

3. How is a self-adjoint matrix different from a symmetric matrix?

A self-adjoint matrix is a special case of a symmetric matrix. While both types of matrices have the property that aij = aji, a self-adjoint matrix also has the property that it is equal to its transpose, while a symmetric matrix does not necessarily have this property.

4. What are the properties of a self-adjoint matrix?

In addition to being equal to its own transpose, a self-adjoint matrix has the following properties:

• It is a square matrix
  • It has real eigenvalues
  • It is diagonalizable
  • It has orthogonal eigenvectors

5. What are the applications of self-adjoint matrices in science?

Self-adjoint matrices have a variety of applications in science, including in quantum mechanics, where they are used to represent physical quantities such as energy and momentum. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis for their properties of diagonalizability and orthogonality.