1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Self-Learning new material vs. Covering the basics

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    So I have been preparing to transfer into a physics program at the university from a community college. However, I am debating on whether I should go back and cover the material from my previous physics courses to build a strong foundation or if I should start learning the new material that will be covered in the courses at the university. I have done very well in all the physics classes I've taken but I still feel like there's a lot more to learn from it. My professor has recommended getting a head start on the material that I will encounter at the University so I'm not entirely sure what would be more beneficial. I was hoping you guys could shed some light on this and share what has had a larger impact in your education and understanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

If you know what areas you are weak in then that would be something to investigate. I would start be rereading your exams to see where you encountered real problems and then review other questions related to it. To go back and review all your courses may just waste your time as it won't be focused enough if at all.

Next I'd follow your profs advice and preread up on the courses you'll be taking as this will prep your mind with questions and could focus your learning. Its similar to training for a race the preparation and the anticipation of the race will focus your attention better because you have the chance to get an excellent grade if you hit the course running (key point though when taking the course don't slack because things appear easy take that time to dig deeper into whats being taught to the level that you could teach it to others)/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted