Top Calculus Books for Self-Study: Larson's Alternative 6th Edition and More!

In summary, if you're looking for a calculus text that has both theory and applications, you might want to consider How to Ace Calculus: A Streetwise Guide by Adams, Thompson, and Hass. This book is an informal supplement to calculus that breaks down the concepts bit by bit so that they're easier to understand. Alternatively, you could try Edwards and Penney, which is from about 1982.
TheKracken
I cuurently have Larsons Calculus alternative 6th edition and was woundering what would be some other good calculus books to purchase, how about calculus for dummys too? I'm self studying so what sort of books would be best for this

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check out How to Ace Calculus: A Streetwise Guide by Adams, Thompson, and Hass. It's an informal supplement to calculus that breaks down the concepts bit by bit so that they're easier to understand.

could anyone second this?

what do you want to get out of it? Just use the calculations in applications? or understand the reasoning? or actually get down into the fundamental ideas?

the classic text with both theory and applications is courant, or courant and john.

the classic book with no theory and just a smattering of rough intuitive ideas plus computations, for engineers, is Calculus made easy by Silvanus P Thompson.

The classic books for rigorous mathematician style theory are Apostol or Spivak or Kitchen. These are the books on my shelf.

I tend not to have any of the many common college cookbook calculus texts, but a good one is the original by George B. Thomas, aimed at MIT engineers, as early an edition as possible, preferably back into the 60's, it may be reprinted as the "alternate edition": or maybe the 1972 ed. would do. You might want to go to a library and check these out, as it is hard to know from the internet description.

There are some here as low as $1. which I recommend. I would not get any newer than 1972 or so.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=George+B+Thomas&sts=t&x=55&y=14The first edition of Edwards and Penney was excellent as well. Try one of these for $1. from about 1982:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=edwards,+penney&sts=t&x=65&y=9

Last edited:

1. What is self studying calculus?

Self studying calculus refers to the process of learning and understanding calculus concepts on your own without the guidance of a teacher or formal course. This can include using textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

2. Is it possible to self study calculus?

Yes, it is definitely possible to self study calculus. Many people have successfully learned calculus through self-study methods. It requires discipline, dedication, and a strong work ethic, but with the right resources and approach, anyone can learn calculus on their own.

3. What are the benefits of self studying calculus?

Self studying calculus allows for a more flexible and personalized learning experience. You can go at your own pace, focus on areas that you find challenging, and tailor your study methods to your own learning style. It also helps develop independent learning skills and can save time and money compared to taking a formal course.

4. What are some tips for successful self studying calculus?

Some tips for successful self studying calculus include setting a schedule and sticking to it, breaking down the material into manageable chunks, actively engaging with the material through practice problems, seeking help and clarification when needed, and staying motivated and disciplined throughout the process.

5. Can self studying calculus be as effective as taking a formal course?

Yes, self studying calculus can be just as effective as taking a formal course if done properly. It may require some additional effort and self-discipline, but with the right resources and approach, you can gain a thorough understanding of the subject. It is important to seek help and clarification when needed, and to regularly assess your understanding through practice problems and self-testing.