1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Studying Calculus

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    I cuurently have Larsons Calculus alternative 6th edition and was woundering what would be some other good calculus books to purchase, how about calculus for dummys too? I'm self studying so what sort of books would be best for this

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2011 #2
    You might want to check out How to Ace Calculus: A Streetwise Guide by Adams, Thompson, and Hass. It's an informal supplement to calculus that breaks down the concepts bit by bit so that they're easier to understand.

4. Dec 17, 2011 #3
    could anyone second this?

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4
  6. Dec 21, 2011 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what do you want to get out of it? Just use the calculations in applications? or understand the reasoning? or actually get down into the fundamental ideas?

the classic text with both theory and applications is courant, or courant and john.

the classic book with no theory and just a smattering of rough intuitive ideas plus computations, for engineers, is Calculus made easy by Silvanus P Thompson.

The classic books for rigorous mathematician style theory are Apostol or Spivak or Kitchen. These are the books on my shelf.

I tend not to have any of the many common college cookbook calculus texts, but a good one is the original by George B. Thomas, aimed at MIT engineers, as early an edition as possible, preferably back into the 60's, it may be reprinted as the "alternate edition": or maybe the 1972 ed. would do. You might want to go to a library and check these out, as it is hard to know from the internet description.

There are some here as low as $1. which I recommend. I would not get any newer than 1972 or so.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=George+B+Thomas&sts=t&x=55&y=14

The first edition of Edwards and Penney was excellent as well. Try one of these for $1. from about 1982:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=edwards,+penney&sts=t&x=65&y=9

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook