Self studying little Spivak's, stuck on problem 1-6

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 1-6 from Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, which asks to prove the inequality |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2}. The speaker was stuck on how to prove the uniqueness of lambda in the equation 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 and sought clarification. The responder explains that the uniqueness can be proven by considering the quadratic function \int_a^b(f-\lambda g)^2 and the fact that it is always greater than zero. This shows that the lambda is unique.
SrEstroncio
In an effort to keep me from spending all summer lying on the couch, I recently started reading Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds; while working on problem 1-6 I got stuck on a technical detail and I was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight.

Problem 1-6 says:
Let [tex] f [/tex] and [tex] g [/tex] be integrable functions on [tex] [a,b] [/tex].
Prove that [tex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex].
He suggests that you treat the cases [tex] 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/tex] for some [tex] \lambda \in R [/tex] and [tex] 0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/tex] for all [tex] \lambda [/tex] separately.
My question is: how do I know the [tex] \lambda [/tex] is unique?
Considering the two cases given above I got a cuadratic expression in [tex] \lambda [/tex] whose discriminant gave me the strict inequality when [tex] 0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/tex] for all [tex] \lambda [/tex] (since there are no real roots of the equation), but in order to conclude that [\tex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex] I am forced to assume that the discriminant of the equation is equal to zero (otherwise I get [tex] |\int_a^b fg | \geq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex], which is obviously wrong), meaning that there is only one root of the equation, or equivalently that the lambda that satisfies [tex] 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/tex] is unique, fact that I feel must be proven, not assumed).

How do I know said lambda is unique? Keep in mind that since f and g are integrable (but may not be continuous) one cannot assume that [tex] 0=\int_a^b (f)^2 [/tex] implies [tex] f=0 [/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SrEstroncio! :smile:

Let's first consider an arbitrary quadratic function. Take

[tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Now, if this equation has two distinct roots, then the equation must become negative somewhere (either in between the roots or outside the roots). So we know that

[tex]ax^2+bx+c<0[/tex]

for some x. So the only way that this function is always greater than zero is that the root is unique.

Now, you have a quadratic function in [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]\int_a^b(f-\lambda g)^2[/tex]

and you know that this function is always greater than zero. The only way to accomplish this is if the function has only 1 or no distinct real roots. So this is why the lambda is unique.

micromass said:
Hi SrEstroncio! :smile:

Let's first consider an arbitrary quadratic function. Take

[tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Now, if this equation has two distinct roots, then the equation must become negative somewhere (either in between the roots or outside the roots). So we know that

[tex]ax^2+bx+c<0[/tex]

for some x. So the only way that this function is always greater than zero is that the root is unique.

Now, you have a quadratic function in [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]\int_a^b(f-\lambda g)^2[/tex]

and you know that this function is always greater than zero. The only way to accomplish this is if the function has only 1 or no distinct real roots. So this is why the lambda is unique.

ok ok ok I get it now, thank you very much ;D

1. What is the best way to approach self studying "little Spivak's"?

The best way to approach self studying "little Spivak's" is to start with the basics. Make sure you have a strong understanding of the concepts and principles covered in the earlier chapters before moving on to more challenging problems. It can also be helpful to read through the solutions for the previous problems to gain a better understanding of the thought process behind them.

2. I am stuck on problem 1-6. How can I overcome this roadblock?

If you are stuck on problem 1-6, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Sometimes, just focusing on one aspect of the problem at a time can help you find a solution. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to others for help, whether it's a tutor, classmate, or online community.

3. How important is it to understand problem 1-6 before moving on to the next problem?

It is crucial to have a solid understanding of each problem before moving on to the next one. Many concepts and principles build upon each other, so if you don't fully grasp a previous problem, it can make it more difficult to solve the next one. Take the time to fully understand each problem before moving on to ensure a strong foundation for the rest of the material.

4. I am struggling with self studying "little Spivak's". What resources can I use to help me?

There are many resources available to help with self studying "little Spivak's". Some options include online forums and communities, tutoring services, study groups, and reaching out to your professor or teacher for guidance. Additionally, there are often online resources such as video tutorials or practice problems that can aid in understanding the material.

5. How can I stay motivated while self studying "little Spivak's"?

Staying motivated while self studying can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can help. Set small, achievable goals for yourself and celebrate each time you reach one. Take breaks when needed and don't be too hard on yourself if you're struggling with a particular problem. Remind yourself of the long-term benefits of mastering the material and seek support from friends, family, or study groups when you need it.