1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-teaching Calculus III Books

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Well, there is a possibility that I may not be able to get into a Calculus III course next semester so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books that I could use to teach myself the subject matter.

I'm pretty sure Calculus III covers the following: Infinite series; parametric and polar equations; vectors in two and three dimensions; lines, planes, and various families of surfaces in three dimensional space.

I refuse to go an entire semester without continuing my Calculus education, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2
    My two calculus textbooks (Dick, Thomas and Patton, Charles. Calculus. 1995; Swokowski, Earl W., et. al.. Calculus. 1994) both cover the basic Calc III topics. My Calc III class used Dick/Patton, and the syllabus states that the course covers "...most of chapters 11-15 of the text." That would be:

11: Fundamentals of Vectors
    12: Calculus of Curves
    13: Fundamentals of Multivariable Functions
    14: Differential Calculus of Multivariable Functions
    15: Integral Calculus of Multivariable Functions

Oddly, my Calc III course did not touch on vector calculus (chapters 16 and 17), which screwed me in E&M.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?