Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Teaching High School Math Analysis(pre calculus)

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    This year I am a sophomore in High School taking Algebra II. Since I got a B this year in honors English, I decided to self teach myself Precalcus(Math Analysis) with the hopes of taking AP Calculus BC my Junior year. I want to impress the colleges,chiefly The Wharton School of Finance, with my mathematical ability. First, is this conceivable(I got all A's in Algebra II)? Second, how truly difficult is Calculus BC? I am up for any challenge, but I would like to know what I would be getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gerry

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    Ok im sorry i dont quite catch how getting a B in english relates, but w/e. Go for it I skipped the first half of Math analysis, and its not that hard, and its definetly do-able, maybe try and find a senior at your school that could help you, if they tutor you it would be relatively cheap, and they are fairly fresh with the material. Go for it, and have fun in BC next year, hopefully ill be in that class as well

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    Well, I am hoping that taking a AP Calculus BC as a Junior and getting an A will offset the effects of a B in English on my College transcript.

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4
    i dont think a b looks that bad, what was the number grade, because if it doesnt hurt your gpa too much then it doesnt matter

6. Mar 29, 2007 #5
    Well it will probably be around 83-86. However, in my school anything from an 83 to a 86.99 is weighed the same as far as GPA goes. Everything else is an A though. It probably won't affect my GPA all that much, but I suspect I won't ever get an A in English throughout High School if I have the same teacher. I want my transcript to have the "wow" factor. Hopefully, an A in AP Calculus BC as a Junior can supply that. Thanks for you input.

Gerry

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    o wow an 87 is an A for you guys? where are you goin? where im at a 92 is the highest B

8. Mar 29, 2007 #7
    Well not quite. An 87-89.99 is a B+ which is weighted higher than a B. 90-92.99 is an A- , 93-96.99 is an A, and 97+ is an A+

9. Mar 29, 2007 #8
    ok i got a little confused because im used to A, B, C grading, no in betweens or plus & minuses

10. Mar 29, 2007 #9
    If you get on it you can teach yourself pre calculus pretty quickly.

11. May 9, 2010 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Anyone receiving a solicitation via PM needs to report it to a mentor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?